How to drop trans/T-case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Got that some bitch out! Actually it wasn't too difficult especially with that motorcycle lift. It's off to the tranny shop tomorrow for a performance rebuild. That lift doesn't work worth a **** for my motorcycle but it worked damn good for
You must be registered for see images attach
the trans. I'm gonna bolt everything together and see if there's a balance issue before installation. The wide base and lifting surface may be stable enough that it stays put long enough to get it up and get the bellhousing and x- member in place.
a ratchet strap or two might be a solid tool for that adventure.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
During this procesd I discovered a possible issue. I recently swapped the stock front axle with a Dana 60. It bolted right in with no issues. I'm sure I measured things but I'm having second thoughts because, after pulling the front shaft out I noticed the slip joint seemed to be almost completely compressed. How much travel should there be in the joint? I'm thinking I was lucky that I didn't hit something that caused the shaft to bottom out and destroy my T-case. I didn't think there was any difference in the distance from the axle centerline to the yoke u-joint centerline but maybe the 60 was an inch or two longer? Hope this makes sense. And how would one determine the compressed height of the front end with leaf springs?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got it all back together today. Runs great. I ended up installing the trans first and then the T-case. As I sat on the concrete in my driveway staring at my dilemma, I decided the hell with it. I grabbed the 208, set it on my chest and laid back on my creeper. Under the truck I creeped. Once in position, I bench pressed that b***h for all I was worth and it slipped right on the first try. I didn't even s**t my pants as I was expecting!
Anyway, all is good.

The worst part of the deal was deciding to break the T-case down and replace all the gaskets and seals while I had it out. I was doing great until these little b**t***s fell out! Yep, spent an entire day figuring out what they where and how to get them back in place. Syncronizer keys. If you've had to replace them then you know what I'm talking about.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
a ratchet strap or two might be a solid tool for that adventure.
Someone here suggested that already... if you don't have dual pipes to toss the strap over the frame rail work good too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84