How to drop trans/T-case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First time with a 4wd r&r. Got the fluids drained and drive shafts removed. Got a floor jack and a motorcycle lift. Looking under my K20 that I'm about to remove th400/208 from, I'm wondering the best way to do this.
1- Remove them together as one unit...or
2- Unbolt the T-case and remove and then remove the trans separately?

I appreciate the help.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Separately is easier. Otherwise it is unstable with weight distribution not centered.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree, if doing it by yourself then it's easier to pull the t-case first.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Don't forget to disconnect the tcase shifter and check the passenger side of the tcase for a support rod held on by 2 large bolts.

Also, you'll likely have a cup or 2 of trans fluid spill when you separate the trans from the tcase.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks guys. Separate it is. Hopefully I'll still have all my fingers afterwards...lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I just removing bolts until everything falls apart.
Just kidding, be careful under there..

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
X5 (or whatever we are up) to on separate.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The only way I would do it with them together is if you have a hydraulic transmission jack that straps to the jack, otherwise its murder trying to pull off that balancing act. I've been needing to pull mine out to clean and paint before I start putting all the fluids and stuff in and I have been putting it off for that very specific reason, lol.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the T-case out this evening. It wasn't too bad; took about 45 minutes. I have a feeling putting it back in is gonna take 3-4 times as long thanks to gravity. Tommorow I'll pull the trans. Seems no matter what, your gonna end up with trans fluid all over the damn place. I could tell by the look on my wifes face she wasn't impressed with the carnage left on the driveway.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
When I put my transfer case in last time around I put it on the crossmember and then used some super long bolts on one side and lifted it up until I could get the nuts on the bolt. After that I used the standard bolts and one of those HF trans jacks to put it up inthe air and the length of the long bolts and being free on the trans jack allowed me to slide/swivel it on the trans output shaft and then line up the bolts. After that I zipped up the normal bolts on one side and moved the jack under the cross member in order to take the really long bolts out and replace them with the normal bolts (and I elected not to use the stock spacers).

I am thinking I am going to make a cradle that acts as a skid plate the next time around so once I take it out I am just going to be able to lift the cradle into place by just putting a jack under it and lifting it into place.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
When I put my transfer case in last time around I put it on the crossmember and then used some super long bolts on one side and lifted it up until I could get the nuts on the bolt. After that I used the standard bolts and one of those HF trans jacks to put it up inthe air and the length of the long bolts and being free on the trans jack allowed me to slide/swivel it on the trans output shaft and then line up the bolts. After that I zipped up the normal bolts on one side and moved the jack under the cross member in order to take the really long bolts out and replace them with the normal bolts (and I elected not to use the stock spacers).

I am thinking I am going to make a cradle that acts as a skid plate the next time around so once I take it out I am just going to be able to lift the cradle into place by just putting a jack under it and lifting it into place.

If you have true dualls you can use a ratchet step over the pipes and under the transmission, and again under the T case. Ratchet straps work great for lifting... not so much for lowering :nono:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
yeah right now I have no exhaust on it. I thought about doing it on ratchet straps at the time but i was in such a small garage I had no way to think straight. Now that I have my house and the expanse of my driveway I'll probably be more liberal with my solutions. I used to be able to bench press the stuff in but the older I get the less I feel like tempting fate and shitting my pants (not to mention two torn rotator cuffs).

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The cradle is a good idea in theory. I'm thinking I could Fab up something fairly simple with some tubing that would allow me to lift the trans and T-case together. The motorcycle lift I have has a pretty large flat base on it and is very stable. I'm thinking it would be worth the time to make something rather than fight getting things lined up underneath the truck fighting rtv and new gaskets. Like rpcraft, I'd rather avoid the shitting my pants scenario as well. Shitting my pants is rare, but rare in this case does not mean desireable.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got that some bitch out! Actually it wasn't too difficult especially with that motorcycle lift. It's off to the tranny shop tomorrow for a performance rebuild. That lift doesn't work worth a **** for my motorcycle but it worked damn good for
You must be registered for see images attach
the trans. I'm gonna bolt everything together and see if there's a balance issue before installation. The wide base and lifting surface may be stable enough that it stays put long enough to get it up and get the bellhousing and x- member in place.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1