How hard is it to change an oil pan gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Oil pan gasket is leaking like crazy. How hard is it to change the gasket with the motor in the truck? I've heard that the pan will not fully come out which makes it suck.

Can this be done while laying on the ground under the truck?

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
If it's a 4wd, you can get the pan out. I've heard 2wd you have to lift the engine. All I did was pull the tires off, set the frame on jackstands and let the axle hang low. I had plenty of room. Do yourself a favor and get the Fel-pro one piece gasket. It's worth the extra $.

Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
If it's a 4wd, you can get the pan out. I've heard 2wd you have to lift the engine. All I did was pull the tires off, set the frame on jackstands and let the axle hang low. I had plenty of room. Do yourself a favor and get the Fel-pro one piece gasket. It's worth the extra $.

That's exactly what I want is the one piece. but heard I won't be able to get the pan out. It's 2wd. Lifting the motor would mean that I had to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor with a jack? I don't have a engine puller.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
That's exactly what I want is the one piece. but heard I won't be able to get the pan out. It's 2wd. Lifting the motor would mean that I had to unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor with a jack? I don't have a engine puller.

Yea, from what I've been told you only need to raise it 2-3", so you could probably do it with a floor jack if you've got one tall enough. Just raise it off the mounts and stick a 2x4 under each side for it to rest on.You just need to find a good place to lift the engine. Don't put the jack on the oil pan and try to lift it.

That being said, in theory you might be able to pull it far enough off to swap the gasket without pulling the pan completely out. Maybe someone who has a 2wd could comment on that.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You will need to lift the engine and completely remove the pan. Like mentioned above use wood blocks to support the engine. You really need an engine hoist to lift the engine correctly and safely. Ive seen people jack the engine up via the pan but I would not suggest it. If you have a large tree with a good size branch use a come-along to lift the engine. You could also use a swing set A frame/come-along to lift the engine. Standard child's swing set is good for lifting a small block but not removing it. You could also build you an A frame out of 4X4 and 2X4 wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77