How durable is the 14 bolt SF rear axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave 84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Mine has worked good in my blazer but full floats are so damn cheap mine will changed shortly to a ff for no good reason except that's what I want lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I was under the impression that it was the C-clip design of the 14sf and smaller axles that created the weakness in the gov-locs.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I was under the impression that it was the C-clip design of the 14sf and smaller axles that created the weakness in the gov-locs.

Just the design of the g80 itself. If you are bound up at all when it engages- boom.

Better than a Detroit in snow and ice.

The 10 bolt is most notorious.

They may last a long time with regular use, but will still go boom one day.

Read up on pirate.

The 10 bolt is not the only one referred to as a Gov Bomb. Even in the FF 14 bolt.

I can attest to losing two 14 SF Gov bombs. That appeared to engage perfectly fine and passed visual inspection before install.

Last edited:

88burbboy

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Mine survived 33"s, 35"s and even 37" H1 Double bead locks. I put in detroit, was previously an open diff. 350 tbi doesnt really have the power to get the tires spinning. Combined with having a Sm465 factory burb, I just granny low-ed it everywhere, and was easy with the power. Owner before me towed just about anything, and the 14 bolt semi float held up all those years. I swapped out for tons, but my old man, took it and stuck it in something else. Still lives.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Mine survived 33"s, 35"s and even 37" H1 Double bead locks. I put in detroit, was previously an open diff. 350 tbi doesnt really have the power to get the tires spinning. Combined with having a Sm465 factory burb, I just granny low-ed it everywhere, and was easy with the power. Owner before me towed just about anything, and the 14 bolt semi float held up all those years. I swapped out for tons, but my old man, took it and stuck it in something else. Still lives.

The differential/axle itself is plenty strong.

The disagreement was with the G80(Gov bomb).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK