How difficult and what is involved?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Well it is apparent that this cannot wait any longer. My old lines on the tanks are most likely toast as was pointed out earlier this year. There were other issues that I found out needed to be addressed as well, but now it's time for the fun part.

Background: Had a stumble back towards the beginning of the year that appeared when driving on the freeway. It was intermittent, and still is. I thought I had it fixed, but I was merely running on the wrong tank to cause the problem. I was set to take the truck camping in an area about 4.5 hours away, but since my girlfriend is always broke I cancelled the trip because I couldn't afford the $500 in fuel alone and all the other stuff. Turns out that was a blessing in disguise. I took the truck on a trip to go golfing an hour away instead. It ran great! Coming home the canyon road was closed so I had to take a backroad to get home. I noticed the RH Tank was at 1/4 so I switched over to LH Tank. Truck still ran great...until...On a short straight away I decided to kick in the 4-barrels and then the problems began. I was in the middle of nowhere and truck wanted to die, but if I feathered the throttle it would recover and run fine, and then stumble, and run fine...you see the pattern here. If I recall correctly, I think it was Jerry saying that the hoses on the tops of the tanks needed to be replaced because if they're most likely rotted out and the modern fuel is further eating away at them, which causes cavetation and the fuel pump to lose prime.

Now: Since I think it may be easier to unbolt the bed, lift it, set it on 4x4 or 6x6 blocks and slide it back a foot, what is involved in removing a bed on one these trucks. Mine is a 81 long bed fleetside with dual tanks. The LH Tank is still full, and the RH Tank still has about 1/4 so dropping those could be problematic. I guess I could drain them and drop them if it's easier to drop the tanks over lifting and sliding the bed back to gain access to the hoses. Is it possible to use a long arm engine hoist to aid in lifting the bed?

What are your suggestions from those that have experience in removing these beds or dropping tanks?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If the bolts for the box floor are in good shape and can be undone. Then ya go the box route for sure. If not maybe its time to get some nice new shiny bolts for the box floor ? If it were me I think I would be inclined to move the box back to access your fuel lines. 1 because dropping the tanks is a real PITA and 2 because it affords the opportunity to ensure that the box bolts are in good shape and 3 the ability to realign the box properly if need be.

If the bolts are seized and rusted the easiest option is to just cut them off. But sometimes easier said then done! You could also try breaking the nut off with a nut cracker lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Although I don't think I have ever been able to get this tool to do its job unless using it on cheap grade 3 or less nuts.

Best off just using a grinder with a cutting disc IMO BUT BE SURE TO BE SAFE !!! remember you have 2 fuel tanks under there with you ! Maybe a swazall would work better.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Also just need to remember to unbolt the fuel fill from the box and undo the wiring harness/s at the tail lights.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Thanks. I was thinking it would be easier to lift the bed and slide it back. I have a case of Knocker Loose, which is a very good penetrant. When I got the truck I had to snug up a couple of the nuts, so they may be good. Is there anything special I need to do to the filler necks? Besides replacing the rubber pieces on those.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
You answered my question as I was typing...lol...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
And I have a nice nut splitter I got from Snap-On. I had to use on almost every single nut to dismantle the bed on my old '65 because code enforcement was on me to remove the stuff from my driveway. It worked great.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And I have a nice nut splitter I got from Snap-On. I had to use on almost every single nut to dismantle the bed on my old '65 because code enforcement was on me to remove the stuff from my driveway. It worked great.

Oh there may be a ground strap some where too

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
You really want to slide the bed back. It is much easier. Key word in the previous sentence is much. Dropping the tank is very aggravating and involves much cussing. Don't ask me how I know.

SpeeedRacer62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
DD, I highly recommend that you completely remove the bed and set it on some blocks. You'll have so much better access to everything and no rust falling into your eyes. Its really just a handful of bolts. PB blast them a few times before you start.

Also you may want to think about having some replacement tank straps on hand before you start. I have an 86 long bed that needed a tank replacement and the straps were junk. Got a set from Advance Auto Parts cheap!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Majority rules. The bed is going to be unbolted for this little project. Thanks for the pointers/tips/suggestions. The rust on this truck is mostly surface rust, but having straps avaliable or at least a place to get them is a good precaution.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
While the bed is off be thinking about other things that might be easier to replace while the bed is off. Sending units? Shocks? freshening up the frame? Things like this :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare