Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thinking of changing my horn to a 2000 plus Cadillac dual horn, Is there anything I have to do special or can it even be done

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Depends on the power requirements of the horn, but I'd imagine it could be done. Typically I believe they all just require 12 volts. You might have to graft a new connector onto the wire that goes to the current horn set up to fit the new horns.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Stock horns are self grounding, the newer ones are wired with a ground. So you just need the pigtails for the horns, one wire is 12v (not constant of course) and the other just gets grounded to the body.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I bought two brandnew GM replacement horns and they came with the necessary pigtails and apparently you can use either lead for power or for ground

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ok seen some new ones on ebay but no pigtail

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I have 4 note Caddy horns on my '89. Nothing special, had to make grounds and change the connectors.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So I wired up my new GM replacement horns as per instructions that came with them and nothing!

Lead comes into first horn, the ground wire goes to the incoming lead for second horn and then grounded to frame from second horn. as per instructions. NOTHING !

So then im reading on here someone says the horn button in the steering wheel is the ground side of the system. So im thinking well its not gonna work if both sides are grounded lol. So I put the final ground wire to the positive battery post. NOTHING !

So im tinkering with the horn button and discover that while tinkering, with the horns grounded that there is voltage at the horn button. This means the power source comes through the horn button and out to the the horns.

The problem lies with the install instructions that came with the horns. Looking at one of my downloaded schematics for under the hood it shows each horn grounded instead of using the first horn as a circuit.

So I ground each horn and supply power to both horns with one lead that comes from the horn button, and, ............ SUCCESS !

They both work amazing now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris