Horn just randomly went off and won't shut off, need advice quick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
87 k10 with carbed engine from 84. Quad headlight and I just installed headlight harness upgrade. It's over 24 hours and I'm on my second six pack about to start the grill and my horn randomly goes off. Horn hasn't worked since I ripped into steering column. Yesterday I installed a billet grill and headlight harness. I disconnected the power for headlights so I don't think that is it. I did leave the low beam oem plug connected to the harness but the headlights aren't on so no power there. I just disconnected that plug so absolutely no positive connected there but of course the issue has resolved itself. Hooked up the lights and of course everything works and horn is off and inop again.

This is what I'm thinking and I'm not very good with electrical. Truck has been baking in the sun all day with windows shut which I never do. Could relay or contacts heated up causing it to go off? Anything else I should check? I had planned on tackling the horn issue this fall when I install a new wheel. The fuse says horn/dm. What else is on this circuit? I left it with battery hooked up but I have to get up at 6am to pick up a rear end for my dart at 6am. Can I pull that fuse if it goes off again? Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Horns keep a hot wire all times, and activated by the ground wire in the column touch ground when you push the horn button. Chances are, the plastic insulator around the tip of the horn ground wire where it makes contact with the horn button, has cracked, and allowing the ground wire to make contact with the steering shaft causing the horn to blow. You might need to unplug your horns until you get it fixed or you won't be sneaking home from the mistresses house in the middle of the night. You'll be busted for sure.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Look up above and inboard of the gas pedal. You'll see the "convenience center". There will be several relays plugged into it. One of them is the horn relay. It is square in cross-section:

You must be registered for see images attach

There are two tabs on the convenience center that lock it in place. Lift them away and pull the relay. No power will be able to get to the horns with it removed. If you pull the HORN/DM fuse it may not keep the horn from blowing but you will definitely lose your dome light.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. My horn relay is white and I removed it. It's been a couple hours and it hadn't gone off so I'm thinking it was the heat. I'll stop at the parts store and pick one up along with a couple small bolts I need. Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris