Hood light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxdad

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 4x4 on 35s
Engine Size
I've been looking for a light bar that will mount towards the rear. I dont want dirll through the hood but I may build it myself.rT

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Why not get a light bar for the top of the cab or a push bar with lights? Or are you referring to the spot lights that are on cop cars on the A pillars?

jaxdad

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 4x4 on 35s
Engine Size
Across the hood like they do on jeeps. Here in Oklahoma we have alot of trees and low hanging limbs, so a light bar over the cab could be damaged. I have lights on my grill guard. I'd like to do five across with the two outside lights angled out about 45°. My friend is a state trooper and he said as long as they don't block my view their fine. Also thinking about running these with my hi-beams and not sure if the alt will handle it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Across the hood like they do on jeeps. Here in Oklahoma we have alot of trees and low hanging limbs, so a light bar over the cab could be damaged. I have lights on my grill guard. I'd like to do five across with the two outside lights angled out about 45°. My friend is a state trooper and he said as long as they don't block my view their fine. Also thinking about running these with my hi-beams and not sure if the alt will handle it.

You'll have to run a seperate relay and switch to be hooked into your high beam circuit. It is ILLEGAL to run more than 4 white headlights on road and this includes fog lights, so 2 low beam and 2 fog/driving lights is legal, or 2 low beam and 2 high beam. I'd check with your Trooper buddy on that too. The 4 light max, I'm fairly certain is a Federal Nationwide DOT thing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What part of OK Jax?

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think that is a fed law about four lights but I also wthink that if you have covers on them they are fine??? That was how it was in another state I was in out west (hint)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think that is a fed law about four lights but I also wthink that if you have covers on them they are fine??? That was how it was in another state I was in out west (hint)

Yep Cali requires light covers over off road lights or you get ticketed. They don't want you to have access to turn them even by accident and blind an on coming driver, or to be mischevious with the off road lights.

jaxdad

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 4x4 on 35s
Engine Size
Ada, Ok. going to out the lights on a roof rack.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have my lights mounted on a roll bar and I had the same problem, tree limbs knocking them out of whack or busting them. I made 2 "hoops" out of rebar and mounted (welded) them to the roll bar to protect the lights from low limbs. They dont get knocked around anymore.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG00445a.jpg
    IMG00445a.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 394

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I"m trying to talk my boss into removing the 2nd light bar off my roll back. I have the main one in Amber Rotaters and Flashers on the headache rack that moves with the deck, then the second one on the cab roof that is red and blue rotaters with alley lights. I don't care for the Red and Blues since that is what cops use and I can only legally use those if a PD, Sheriff or HiPo is on scene, like on a crash or an impound. I want him to put an LED light bar on the cab, and some strobes in the turn signals at all 4 corners. I'd feel much safer that way. As long as I have my main Amber rotaters light bar on the headache rack, I'd even be OK with those LEDs mounted to a piece of aluminum or thin metal instead of an actual light bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising