Hi There, Manu from France

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard :boti:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria.

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from New England, USA

Manu

Reaction score
First Name
Manu
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome from New Hampshire, USA!

That's pretty cool, probably don't see too many of those driving around on the roads of France

Were Chevy trucks ever sold in France or are they all brought in from other countries?

There aren't a lot of those here, as you said, they were never sold here.

Welcome! Is it difficult to get something like that licensed over there?

It is not easy but not impossible. The most difficult is to get what we call here the "Contrôle Technique" (equivalent to Tüv for Austria/Germany), a sort of technical check/inspection you have to go through every two years. And it's quite hard... A leaky shock, rust holes, a brake warning light on the dash, a brake hose with cracks and you're out. You will have to fix it and go through again (and pay again). No Contrôle Technique, no title... no title, no license plate.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
There aren't a lot of those here, as you said, they were never sold here.

It is not easy but not impossible. The most difficult is to get what we call here the "Contrôle Technique" (equivalent to Tüv for Austria/Germany), a sort of technical check/inspection you have to go through every two years. And it's quite hard... A leaky shock, rust holes, a brake warning light on the dash, a brake hose with cracks and you're out. You will have to fix it and go through again (and pay again). No Contrôle Technique, no title... no title, no license plate.

That doesnt sound terrible. That sounds like some of the states here in the USA

I would imagine you must have properly functioning emissions control, yes?

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
:welcome:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
And

And gosh....whats it cost to fill a 30gal tank in France?

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 2000's, guys would buy a decent classic car or pickup and then have it shipped over for free when they PCS'd to Europe. They would then sell it for WAY more than it cost them in the states, usually for enough to go to the BMW plant and get a brand new car made for them. Then they would get it shipped back to the states with them(again for free) when their tour was over. Then, they would sell the BMW in the states for WAY more than they bought it for in Germany, and repeat. You can't really buy a pickup truck at all in most of Europe. Certainly not a full size or 3/4 ton truck. In 2004 it was about 1.80 Euro per liter of fuel. With 3.8 liters per US gallon, it was almost 7 Euro/gallon of fuel and the exchange rate was not in the dollars favor. So it worked out to close to $10/gallon... but we were able to get fuel at US prices on base and also had fuel vouchers to get it at decent prices out on the economy.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I was stationed in Germany in the early 2000's, guys would buy a decent classic car or pickup and then have it shipped over for free when they PCS'd to Europe. They would then sell it for WAY more than it cost them in the states, usually for enough to go to the BMW plant and get a brand new car made for them. Then they would get it shipped back to the states with them(again for free) when their tour was over. Then, they would sell the BMW in the states for WAY more than they bought it for in Germany, and repeat. You can't really buy a pickup truck at all in most of Europe. Certainly not a full size or 3/4 ton truck. In 2004 it was about 1.80 Euro per liter of fuel. With 3.8 liters per US gallon, it was almost 7 Euro/gallon of fuel and the exchange rate was not in the dollars favor. So it worked out to close to $10/gallon... but we were able to get fuel at US prices on base and also had fuel vouchers to get it at decent prices out on the economy.
A dollar a mile... wow. Must really love what you drive to pay that price lol

That's a pretty good hustle though bringing stuff back and forth, I like to think I would be that crafty if ever in the situation (but probably not)

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Welcome from Kentucky

Manu

Reaction score
First Name
Manu
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And

Me? Nah...

I like high capacity magazines too much.

And gosh....whats it cost to fill a 30gal tank in France?

Something like 170€... or 200$ should i say. (30gal = 113L x 1.50€).

This is obviously ok. The fun stuff starts when you order parts in the us, example, 100$ for 2 door hinges and some gaskets at *ummit racing. You will have to put on another 60$ for shipping... and once it's in France, you will have to pay import fees (VAT 20% + 3.5% on car parts), based on what the part + the shipping cost is worth...

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Welcome from Florida

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Something like 170€... or 200$ should i say. (30gal = 113L x 1.50€).

This is obviously ok. The fun stuff starts when you order parts in the us, example, 100$ for 2 door hinges and some gaskets at *ummit racing. You will have to put on another 60$ for shipping... and once it's in France, you will have to pay import fees (VAT 20% + 3.5% on car parts), based on what the part + the shipping cost is worth...
G'day Manu, I have the same problem here in Australia, but I have found Rock Auto to be very good. You can get the shipping price options prior to checkout, which is great. Be careful if you order multiple items because they ship from suppliers also.
Best of luck with your project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK