Hi i'm new here - previous SB owner wants to be again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
Howdy, actually my third post because first two were off the top of my head questions of specific information I was looking for. If anyone wants to suggest other great sites for discussing these trucks (either in combination with other trucks, or other GM, or just these models) please share.

I used to own two squarebodies when I grew up - a 1977 chevy 1500 2wd heavy half with a 350, and a 1978 2wd suburban 1500 series with a 454, leaky muffler and 4.11 axle that even the mustang drivers would refuse to race although at 6000lbs it was still a little more bark than bite. :) I totally loved them both and they were great trucks by any standard that I wish I would have been able to keep and not have been forced to get rid of due to living situations at the time and having to drive only a single good MPG vehicle. If I could have kept them and eventually restored them I would have... well maybe not the suburban, that was too rusted... but anyway...

Didn't need a pickup for awhile due to urban living. Hoping to finally leave the insanity of the city in the next few years and will be needing and using a pickup or/and Suburban again to serve multiple purposes but mostly helping me get work done and possibly/eventually travel with the Suburban as I like a big SUV for situations where I need to bring enough people or cargo with. (it's silly to travel solo, not so silly for 4-5 people and luggage for 2 weeks rustic camping with no water runs once in)

Having exhaustively researched literally ALL truck options (foreign and domestic, all 1/2 ton through 1 ton from all makes, all eras from late 1960's to present - i'm OCD about it because i'm literally hoping to drive this the rest of my life and never get rid of it) i'm strongly wanting to put myself back into a square body which i'm wanting to take really good care of and literally hoping to use for decades right through retirement. It's not 100% (to the 73-87) but it's most favoring it at the moment as the best candidate so far, so this account is in part to carry out a slow research project to design up something that works better for my actual uses than even a brand new truck would especially for the money. It will probably be a few years til I even get one again, but i'll hope to have a fully planned project before I do and which i'll hope to document and share pictures and stuff of once I get to it. :)

Anyway that's why i'm here...

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model