Hi everyone! First forum with new vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balsano

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Hello everyone. I’m from Louisiana. I’m new to forums really. Only have been in one before for my beetles but never posted there. I just picked up an 86 c10 last weekend. Went to drive it home and it caught fire. Had a loose ground and loose wire on the back of my alternator. Both have been fixed along with numerous replaced melted wires. This truck has a lot of small things that I’m hoping to work through. I may have to ask a few questions along the way and will share my findings. The truck came with a 350 swapped from a Monte Carlo. No clue on transmission. Will try to find that out tomorrow. Ongoing list of issues are:

-brake lights don’t work
-tranny leak near motor
-leaking power stearing gears
-wobbly tilt stearing
-stuck park brake light
-tanks won’t swap from right to left
-gear selector is super loose and will fall(won’t change gear on its own but when left in park the handle will slide towards driver a hair and drop)

There are a few other issues. A little body work and missing parts. Hoping I’m not too in over my head. But here goes nothing

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Welcome Jacob, nice wheels. You will get it sorted, one thing at a time.
Good you got the fire under control!
Don't hesitate to ask for help, but also get to know the search feature. Tons of info waiting for ya.

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
Hello everyone. I’m from Louisiana. I’m new to forums really. Only have been in one before for my beetles but never posted there. I just picked up an 86 c10 last weekend. Went to drive it home and it caught fire. Had a loose ground and loose wire on the back of my alternator. Both have been fixed along with numerous replaced melted wires. This truck has a lot of small things that I’m hoping to work through. I may have to ask a few questions along the way and will share my findings. The truck came with a 350 swapped from a Monte Carlo. No clue on transmission. Will try to find that out tomorrow. Ongoing list of issues are:

-brake lights don’t work
-tranny leak near motor
-leaking power stearing gears
-wobbly tilt stearing
-stuck park brake light
-tanks won’t swap from right to left
-gear selector is super loose and will fall(won’t change gear on its own but when left in park the handle will slide towards driver a hair and drop)

There are a few other issues. A little body work and missing parts. Hoping I’m not too in over my head. But here goes nothing

Before you get too involved chasing the "park brake light" try this, Lift the park brake lever with your toe and see if the light goes out. The PB lever on my 86 C10 sometimes sticks just shy of turning the light off and needs a little help. Yours might also be lazy.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Balsano

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome Jacob, nice wheels. You will get it sorted, one thing at a time.
Good you got the fire under control!
Don't hesitate to ask for help, but also get to know the search feature. Tons of info waiting for ya.

I already have discovered the search. Very excited to learn stuff through reading. I already learned about a few issues I’m checking today. I will make sure to search first.

Balsano

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Before you get too involved chasing the "park brake light" try this, Lift the park brake lever with your toe and see if the light goes out. The PB lever on my 86 C10 sometimes sticks just shy of turning the light off and needs a little help. Yours might also be lazy.

I don’t think mine is lazy in that way. I have lifted it before and nothing happened. Now I know that when I pull the release I do have to pull my lever back up. It will not spring back. Not sure but ebrake may not even be hooked up. I got the truck on the lift this morning to swap positive battery cable and oil change. Then need to try and find out what transmission I have. Might take a look at brake too if I have a minute.

LAGator

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
welcome, same just bought truck and in Louisiana, Scott.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

WFO