Help with horn button assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdmcadams

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hello! I need some guidance on the horn button for my 1987 Chevy stepside. I should probably mention that I am a novice at this...

So, this truck was someone's rebuild/restore project that they decided to move on from, and I bought it knowing there was work to be done.

At arrival, the steering wheel and horn button weren't assembled. I believe the parts are mostly all here, but some of them need to be replaced, I think, and I can't find a clear schematic of the order that they are reassembled. Initially, the horn worked when I was messing around with the parts trying to figure this out, but not so at the moment. I have found some tutorials and guidance on checking the electrical connections. I'm just trying to figure out how to put all the pieces together at the moment...

I'm going to try and insert some pictures below to clarify. I may not have the terminology quite correct.

The first pic is the steering wheel and horn components as they are attached. The plastic ring is broken in several places and I suspect should be replaced. In addition to what is pictured, I have a concave metal disc, a metal cup that attaches to the bottom of the steering wheel button that fits into the middle of the wheel, and that steering wheel button.

The second pic is a similar looking horn repair kit -- the metal cup is in the upper left, the concave disc at the upper right.

So, several questions:

1) How do the pieces go together properly? Is the wheel as pictured correct? Does the disc go in next? Facing which direction? And just free floating? Then the black plastic horn button with the cup attached?

2) If there should be a spring visible on my setup, I don't have it, so will need to replace it. When I search for an appropriate horn repair kit, I can't find one for the 1987 and often am directed to the Impala kit. I suspect that there are many similar ones and that they don't change from year to year, but if someone could clarify what to get, that would help!

3) Once all the above is assembled correctly, does the plastic horn button just rest in place? There doesn't seem to be any particular way to attach it. As it stands now, probably because it isn't all put together properly, it will rest in the center of the steering wheel, but doesn't seem to have "popped" into place. It sort of rattles around insecurely.

Thanks for any assistance. I can take more pictures, as needed.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1987 Chevy V10 horn button assembly.jpg
    1987 Chevy V10 horn button assembly.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,585
  • 1967-1968 Chevy Impala horn repair kit.jpg
    1967-1968 Chevy Impala horn repair kit.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,183

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The spring and little white sleeve are what's holding in your silver contact peg. So you are good there.

Next is the flat (ish) spring plate.

Then the large cup bolts on with the 3 screws, using the plastic insulator ring (the plastic keeps the screws from making electrical contact with the cup).

Oh, and the flat spring plate installs so that the cup pops in and out when you push on it.

pdmcadams

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Hmm. That's helpful! So, at the moment, as pictured, those bolts should be removed along with the plastic insulator. Then reassemble with the flatish ring going in first, then bolt the cup in using the screws with the insulator between the screw heads and the cup? For the spring plate to pop in and out when pushed, I assume that the concave side faces down when installed.

The insulator I have is in several pieces. Seems like a new one is in order. Are they pretty universal for Chevrolet/GMC or am I looking for one specific for my truck?

The center plastic part of the steering wheel, the horn button, is held in place by locking into the cup but the cup is screwed to the wheel.

I think I got it. I'll try it once I can find the plastic ring.

Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can never remember which way the flat spring plate goes, always just do a test-fit and learn it again.

You can still use your insulator bits. It's just designed to be an easy install at the factory, with them all connected. But if you want to replace it, it's a part that was used in many many GM products from the late 60's through the early 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theshawnR