Help! vacuum hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orodan0331

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello my name is Daniel. I have a 1986 c10 with a 305 engine. A while ago I had a small engine fire and some of my hoses were burnt in half and I'm having problems putting new ones on. I got my truck running again and I noticed that behind the carb, there is a plug in the manifold that has a T at the top. Both sides were burned off and really want to know where they go. When I turn on the truck both sides suck in air. I would really aprreciate the help, thank you in advance! I will post pictures in a few minutes.

Attachments

• vacuum.jpg
    vacuum.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Check to see if you have a line connected for AC and thr vaccum canister on the driver side of the firewall

orodan0331

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello Viktor I took some pictures to show you the set up I don't see the vacuum canister leading into the fire wall but it is leading towards the carb area. there is a hose that has a check valve on it, and im pretty sure that the hose that connects there but when connected, the suction collapses the hose. is that normal? The hose is in pretty bad shape so that could be the problem. My AC is all on the pass side.

Attachments

• vac can hose.jpg
    vac can hose.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 221
  • other end of vac can hose.jpg
    other end of vac can hose.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 198
  • AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 224

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
the line with a "Y" should be connected to the intake manifold vacuum. If hose colapses it is bad and needs to be replaced. One side of the "Y" goes to the AC on the passenger side, and the other to the canister. It looks like you have lock up vacuum controlled on the dash near the AC box, it has a line going to it as well. If you have a 3 speed th350C with lockup, then there is another vacuum line that goes to the transmission. If it is 700r4, then there should be no vacuum lines running to it.

I can't tell if you have kick down(th350c) or TV(700r4) cable hooked up on the side of the carburetor, but it needs to be if it is not.

orodan0331

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
thank you very much for the information. I have the 700R4, so you are saying it should have the cable running the carb? would this be on the right side of the carb? sorry my skills are low to med. I had a mechanic work on my truck but he did more bad than good he was just taking advantage of military members. Doing my best to learn.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There is a TV cable that runs from the transmission to the carbutetor. If it is disconnected, transmission dies very quickly unless then valve is stuck. Here is a nice article on function and adjustment.
http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm

orodan0331

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will look into that now. the carb is new so I will double check. Regarding the "T" we spoke of earlier, one end goes to the bad hose im replacing, do you have any idea what the other side would go to? I see that its small so its the smaller plastic hosing. I have a diagram with a ydr on it but Its a little confusing for me on top of that some of the vacuum hoses were deleted. would I plug this hole or do you think it would damage the engine.

Attachments

• ydr.jpg
    ydr.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 680

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
On top of that diagram the climate controls inside the cab are vacuum operated and a small vacuum line runs from the passenger side upper firewall and gets connected to the other side of that T

orodan0331

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
thanks Ogre! I believe I found the vacuum hose you spoke off and replacing it now. And yes my TV cable is connected only problem is that im not sure if its the correct set up. I read the article that Viktor sent me and even the slightest mistake in adjustment will lead to bad transmission problems. the mechanic that worked on my truck before tried putting an edelbrock carb but he couldn't get it to hook up correctly so a new factory carb was installed. is anyone able to tell of this os the correct set up for the tv cable and acccleerator cable? also there is a little plunger that connect the the same set up with the 2 tv cables and the acc cable. what function does this have and if some of my vacuum hoses are deleted, will it matter if its connected? sorry for so many questions, and thanks for your patience.

Attachments

• cable setup.jpg
    cable setup.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 174
  • tv cable.jpg
    tv cable.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 184
  • plunger.jpg
    plunger.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 234

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That is the cruise control diaphragm. There is a vacuum canister (usually a plastic ball) that is used to hold that plunger to keep the throttle applied to keep the vehicle moving at the set cruise speed.

The reason the Eddy carb didn't work is because you need to have a corrector bracket to run the eddy carb with a 700r4 because the throttle linkage is different. So they make a corrector bracket to fix that issue. I am currently running an Eddy with a 700r4 and it works fine with the corrector bracket installed on the throttle linkage.

The TV cable looks like it is kinked a little? It would be worth it to invest in a new TV cable just for piece of mind.

orodan0331

Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you for all the info ive gotten so much done. As far as the TV cable it will be my next investment. I took it for very short drive and notice that it is very difficult to switch gears and will only switch when I let off the gas at very high rpms. Im hoping this is because of a bad TV cable adjustment. so when I get the new one I will try with that one. Is it safe to say this is due to the TV cable?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thank you for all the info ive gotten so much done. As far as the TV cable it will be my next investment. I took it for very short drive and notice that it is very difficult to switch gears and will only switch when I let off the gas at very high rpms. Im hoping this is because of a bad TV cable adjustment. so when I get the new one I will try with that one. Is it safe to say this is due to the TV cable?

DO NOT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT !!!

With out that corrector bracket you most likely will burn up your transmission. Its fine to rev it in Neutral but do not drive it!

This is what you need to be able to adjust the TV cable correctly. Do not drive it until you install this and adjust the TV properly!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_i=B007VSWEX0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_i=B007VSWEX0

TCI# 600-376715

Last edited:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
the mechanic that worked on my truck before tried putting an edelbrock carb but he couldn't get it to hook up correctly so a new factory carb was installed.

If I'm reading this correctly and by looking at the pictures he does not need the TCI adaptor because he has a Quadrajet and not an Edelbrock carb.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh ok LOL

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well he needs to adjust the TV properly then. Still don't drive it until it is adjusted properly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76