Help - my wheel almost fell off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I hear ya. It can be intimidating though trying to figure all this stuff out. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The deeper you get, the less intimidating it gets. Just do your research, and trust yourself. If you get in a bind, somebody here will be there to help.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I pulled the axle and everything looks good to me. I can see one of the spindle lock washer tabs bent in to lock the nut into place, as in the photo posted by Craig 85. The bent tab is at about the 3:30 position in this photo.
You must be registered for see images attach

It seems strange that the washer isn't designed so more of the tabs line up with the notches in the nut, but it looks like the exact same configuration as in the comparison photo Craig posted. It looks like I am all set and safe. Anyone see something bad that I am missing?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Thanks. The tab breaking could have been the problem. I had a couple mechanics work on the brakes that didn’t turn out so well. I’ve had a hard time finding someone around here (Charlotte NC) who is willing or able to work on an old truck. I’m gonna pull the axle and see what I find.

I'd be willing to give you a hand. If you're in Charlotte, I'm right over in Salisbury NC.

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I appreciate the offer, but I think I’m good. I may take you up on that next time I feel in over my head. I buy the beer!

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I pulled the axle and everything looks good to me. I can see one of the spindle lock washer tabs bent in to lock the nut into place, as in the photo posted by Craig 85. The bent tab is at about the 3:30 position in this photo.

It seems strange that the washer isn't designed so more of the tabs line up with the notches in the nut, but it looks like the exact same configuration as in the comparison photo Craig posted. It looks like I am all set and safe. Anyone see something bad that I am missing?
Looks good to me as long as the preload on the bearings is good. Spins freely without any slop?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I appreciate the offer, but I think I’m good. I may take you up on that next time I feel in over my head. I buy the beer!

Message me anytime, I'm more than willing to help a local member out!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hey all. I have a 74 C20 with the 14-bolt full float rear end. I had a rear brake job done in November, and a couple months ago I was driving with a big load of lumber in the bed and the brakes and speedometer went haywire. I pulled over immediately and saw that the right-rear wheel had almost fallen off. If I had been on the freeway and it came off, it would have been bad news.

A shade-tree mechanic friend - who is knowledgeable in general but hadn't worked on this type of rear end before - towed me to his house and fixed it after some trials and tribulations. He said it looks like whoever did the brake job forgot to put some clip back into the right hub assembly. I had a replacement hub handy, so he put that one on for me (the old one got chewed up).

He did not tear into the left wheel to see if the same mistake was made on that side. I've been driving it for a couple months now (probably 500 miles), checking the left wheel frequently, with no issues, no leaks, etc. My friend said he thinks if the clip was left out on the left too, I would have run into problems by now, so he suspects the mechanic didn't go as deep into the left wheel and never removed that clip. He said if it were him he would just keep an eye on it.

I'm not sure what clip he is referring to, and I have no experience with the hub, axle, etc. I want to assure that it's safe, especially since my kid rides with me in the truck sometimes. Any idea what clip he might be referring to and how I can check it? I do have a PDF of the complete service manual so can refer to the hub and drum assembly drawing. Or should I just let it go and keep an eye on it?

It ain't all roundy-round dude, you need more right turns. :lol:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I'd let VBB play with my truck except it may not fit in the garage when he's through

:shrug:

We'll I certainly appreciate that LOL.

I like all lifts and tire sizes. The guy with a small lift and tire, or the guy with the big 28L-26 tractor tires, all looks good, long as it's a square :cool:

Erik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’ve wanted to get bigger wheels on my truck but I love the original bow tie hub caps I have. They look sweet. The tires are a little small though.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. The tab breaking could have been the problem. I had a couple mechanics work on the brakes that didn’t turn out so well. I’ve had a hard time finding someone around here (Charlotte NC) who is willing or able to work on an old truck. I’m gonna pull the axle and see what I find.

In Charlotte!!??? That's a big city. You should have dozens of qualified people within 15 miles of you, go out 50 miles and I bet there are literally hundreds of people that are qualified to work on that everyone from backyard guys to dealerships to independent shops.

Maybe no one in like a mile of the huge downtown buildings and maybe few people way out in the McMansion suburbs with all the ****** haired prison shoe wearing hipster Millineals but I know there are plenty of folks around there.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
This just about made me lose it. I was about to be pissed outside the Chevy dealership doing a brake stand in the service lane until someone fixed it, but I guess it’s normal endplay for a c-clip axle. All my other stuff has been full float type.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
This just about made me lose it. I was about to be pissed outside the Chevy dealership doing a brake stand in the service lane until someone fixed it, but I guess it’s normal endplay for a c-clip axle. All my other stuff has been full float type.

one look.
totally normal lol
:(
thats what makes em tuff though - like an AK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk