Help me diagnose trans/clutch issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Basically the back third of the engine and front third of the trans are covered in oil

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you're saying up inside the cover and inside of the bellhousing? If so, maybe just some seepage from the rear main. Not bad enough to leak to the ground, but enough to sling a little bit of oil around. How about the thickness of the disk between the flywheel and pressure plate? Plenty of clutch left?

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm having the same problem. I just installed a new clutch kit (flywheel, flutch, and pressure plate) I replaced all the bearings. Used the old fork. I get shudder or judder when taking off on 1st(not low). I replaced the RMS when I installed the clutch so I'm sure a leak isn't my problem. Not sure where to go from here.
Is there any clutch adjustments that need to be made before opening it all up and taking a look?

I heard you need to let it break in buts its already been about 2k miles with no improvement. I have to note that it doesn't shudder all the time when taking off, its pretty random, more when hot.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm having the same problem. I just installed a new clutch kit (flywheel, flutch, and pressure plate) I replaced all the bearings. Used the old fork. I get shudder or judder when taking off on 1st(not low). I replaced the RMS when I installed the clutch so I'm sure a leak isn't my problem. Not sure where to go from here.
Is there any clutch adjustments that need to be made before opening it all up and taking a look?

I heard you need to let it break in buts its already been about 2k miles with no improvement. I have to note that it doesn't shudder all the time when taking off, its pretty random, more when hot.

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced when you did the clutch replacement?

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Did you have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced when you did the clutch replacement?

Forgot to add it was a new flywheel too. Clutch kit + Flywheel were LUK. I also have a hydraulic clutch. When hauling heavy loads I gut some shudder on low and in reverse. I notice that its less noticeable when you really step on the gas and release the clutch slowly.

Warranty runs out on May of next year so I really wanna diagnose the problem now whiles its still covered.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Forgot to add it was a new flywheel too. Clutch kit + Flywheel were LUK. I also have a hydraulic clutch. When hauling heavy loads I gut some shudder on low and in reverse. I notice that its less noticeable when you really step on the gas and release the clutch slowly.

Warranty runs out on May of next year so I really wanna diagnose the problem now whiles its still covered.

hmmm, sounds like it should be all good. And positive the RMS was installed properly, no leakage and no seepage? No notice of hydro fluid getting or going low? Normally a chattering clutch is caused by saturation of some type of fluid. It's also possible, if you ever got it real hot and hot enough to get some shiney glaze on the flywheel or pressure plate surface you can get some chatter, but that usually wears off in a few thousand miles of city driving. Never completely wears it off, but at least enough the chatter eventually goes away.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
hmmm, sounds like it should be all good. And positive the RMS was installed properly, no leakage and no seepage? No notice of hydro fluid getting or going low? Normally a chattering clutch is caused by saturation of some type of fluid. It's also possible, if you ever got it real hot and hot enough to get some shiney glaze on the flywheel or pressure plate surface you can get some chatter, but that usually wears off in a few thousand miles of city driving. Never completely wears it off, but at least enough the chatter eventually goes away.

This was my first RMS so I "HOPE" I installed it correctly. After looking at a few installs and doin my research I decided I would try.
I've checked under the bell housing and the pan a few times since the install and notice no leaks at all. Hydro fluid has stayed full. So now I either wait till next summer to crack her open or have a local mechanic check it out. :(

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pulled the engine and trans out today. The clutch and pressure plate look decent. I'm going to put a new clutch in and get the surface of the pressure plate turned. Probably going to replace throwout bearing while I'm at it. I did notice one concerning thing..bellhousing was missing two bolts completely, 2 were very loose, and the rest were barely tighter than finger tight.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:hmm: That could certainly cause a problem in the linkage of the clutch. Especially if the transmission is pushing away from the back of the block as you put the clutch down. :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising