HELP battery not holding charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

issacdilldine

Reaction score
First Name
issac
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
355/th350/np208
Allright I have a "87 silverado V10 with a 355 sbc the truck has a new Duralsast gold battery and the alternator was tested twice at autozone and passed both times. The truck runs great if I jump start it but the starter just clicks or turns the motor over once or twice if I dont jump it. But goin down the road last night I went an turn on the haed lights and the motor started to cut out real bad and the volt guage hit 8v(the lowest it goes) well the truck ended up dying so I had a friend jump start it and got down the road a little ways and turned the lights on and it started cutting out again so thats when I realized that was the problem so I turned them off and it went great well I found out it did the same thing when the blinkers came on and when I tried to use the power windows the volt guage would bottom out and the windows moved real slow and of course this all happend in the middle of the one and only storm in 3 months or so. So can anyone help me or give me information about the problem please.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Welcome Issac! Hey guys I referred him from the 73-87 Chevy Truck Owners' facebook page, so help a guy out! He's been dealing with this for too long!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If I had to guess I would say you have a hot wire somewhere going to ground. A wire in relation to all those things, power windows, headlights, blinkers, anything else you can nail it down to. May start tracing your hot wires where they pass through the firewall under the hood, and maybe check the back side of the fuse block. I know it's gonna be a real pain in the ass but that's what it sounds like to me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've had alternators tested at AZ and O'reilys that tested good but were bad. Keep in mind, testing is bench testing, not real world useage. Same with starters. Bench tests are not full proof. Sounds to me, it puts out the voltage OK and probably the proper voltage, but it can't handle a draw. If AZ isn't putting enough draw on the bench test, it's not going to show as bad. All though tests show is what it's putting out without a power draw on them. I'm still leaning toward bad alternator. I'd hate to see you go buy one though and then that not be it. Anyone you can swap alternators with for an hour or so???

issacdilldine

Reaction score
First Name
issac
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
355/th350/np208
Thats what I think it is and I cleaned the negative battery cable conections and that wire looked fine but havent checked the positive yet and im the only one in my group of friends and the only one at my school that messes around with these old trucks so I cant borrow anyones alternator and the alternator is the one it had on it when I bought the truck 3 or so years ago, So my best guess is to buy one from autozone( or anywhere were someone knows they sale better products) and try that and if it works good if it dont atleast I have a new alternator and know thats not the problem.

issacdilldine

Reaction score
First Name
issac
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
355/th350/np208
and here is how it all started it had the original battery in it from when I bought it and I started noticing the volt guage reading a little low then one day at autozone went to start it and the starter just clicks got it jumped then went home and parked it then bought a close to top of the line Duralast gold battery and the truck would crank over right away then drove it about a week fine then noticed the cranking slowing down(and the whole time the guage was still reading low) then this problem started so I think it is the alternator.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Another way to test it yourself. Start the truck, disconnect the positive battery. Being the coil and ignition take little voltage, I'd imagine in this case it might keep running, but if it shuts off you know the alternator is bad. Look at the volt guage. If it's still at 12 or above then good so far. Then turn on the headlights and if it kills the motor and/or drop voltage below 12 the alternator is bad. If it still runs with the head lights on, hit the brights, turn on the heater blower motor. If it still runs with all the headlights on, and the blower motor running and showing over 12 volts, the alternator is probably good. If not, alternator is bad.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
a bad alternator will KILL a NEW battery quickly. You said you had the alternator tested and it passed both times. How was it tested? On the truck, or Bench tested?

Honestly I can see it being either the alternator OR the Battery. If you do what hotrod suggested that will confirm if the alternator is good or bad though. I would defintly do what he suggested FIRST.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
a bad alternator will KILL a NEW battery quickly. You said you had the alternator tested and it passed both times. How was it tested? On the truck, or Bench tested?

Honestly I can see it being either the alternator OR the Battery. If you do what hotrod suggested that will confirm if the alternator is good or bad though. I would defintly do what he suggested FIRST.

He had it bench tested at AZ twice. I'm farily certain those bench tests just test output on a noload. So it's probably putting out to pass the test, but can't hang with a load on it is what I'm thinking. Defective Rectifier bridge in the Alternator can cause a false positive good test too.

issacdilldine

Reaction score
First Name
issac
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
355/th350/np208
Yes it was bench tested. Me and my stepdad are gunna try the alternator test tonite when it cools down and if it dosent pass im going first thing in the morning to autozone to get a good one. Does anyone know if a remanufactured alternator is good as a new one from there? and last question my Duralst gold battery is about a month old and since its dead do you think the alternator will charge it up good or should I just get another one cause mine has the 3 year replacment 8 year defective warrenty on it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A month old battery should recharge just fine. Preferably, if you have a battery charger, a 2amp overnight trickle charge is best to give it a good slow deep charge.

issacdilldine

Reaction score
First Name
issac
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
355/th350/np208
well my step dad just tested it and said the alternator is bad and being a diesel mechanic for 20 some years i believe he is right so gunna go get a new one tomarrow morning

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
well my step dad just tested it and said the alternator is bad and being a diesel mechanic for 20 some years i believe he is right so gunna go get a new one tomarrow morning

I figured as much. So he knows the difference in a noload test and load test. AZ, O'Reily's and Advanced Don't know either.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh, and if you can, get that battery on a 2 amp trickle charge today, so when you get the alternator installed you're good to go.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In the event that the alternator change out doesn't resolve the issue:

Question: Have a 2000 GMC K2500, mileage: 89,124. Battery goes dead overnight (every night) and I need to jump start every morning. Disconnected alt. but still draining juice from somewhere. When you touch the battery terminals to the post, it sparks. This just happened all of a sudden. Truck starts every day, and other than this, it has never had a problem.

Jerry from Nashua answers:

Here is the procedure I use to isolate a key-off battery drain:

Remove negative battery cable from the battery. Using a 12-volt test light (make it up with alligator clips on the leads), hook one end to the negative battery post the other end to the negative battery cable you just disconnected.

BTW - this procedure will be much easier if you use nice long leads for the test lamp. That way you can keep the lamp right near you as you work (more on that later).

The test light will glow or “light” if there is a flow of electrons through the battery. If the “light or glow” is faint, that is normal. The battery is supposed to supply a minimal amount of power at all times to several components. For example the clock, radio or computer. This means that the problem is not in your electrical system – the battery is bad. It either will not accept a charge – or it is internally shorted and killing itself. This happens when deposits build up to a point where they actually bridge the plates within the battery.

However, if you are reading this post I will assume that you have already eliminated the battery as the problem and are sure that the problem lies elsewhere.

So, moving on, if the test lamp is bright, then there is a large drain. That is what is killing your battery overnight - and it needs to be corrected.

Now, with an eye always on the test lamp, start removing and replacing the fuses one by one. When the light goes out (or dims considerably); that will be the circuit with the drain. WHEN YOU FIND THE AFFECTED CIRCUIT, LEAVE THE FUSE OUT.

Read the fuse box cover. If the circuit is providing power to stuff you can live without for a while (directionals, horn, radio, etc.) don’t do anything else right now. Just remove your test lamp rig, put the cable back on the battery and use the truck as normal. See if the problem is solved. If the battery can now hold a charge overnight – well then, you have identified the problem circuit.

However, if it is a vital circuit (fuel pump, headlights or wipers), or you if want to fix it right away, go to the next step.

Easy so far right Craig?

Now, once the circuit has been identified, comes the tough part. You need to identify whether the drain is in a component or somewhere in the connecting wires. And if it is in the wiring you might as well just sell the truck Just kidding – this trick will make it easy to find the ground (and trust me it will be a ground fault as opposed to a short circuit ).

Now, I say it will definitely be a ground because if it were a short circuit you would have had to deal with this long ago. At this rate of discharge, you would have most likely been blowing the fuse that feeds the circuit.

So, take the test rig that you disconnected from the battery post and cable clamp and remove the alligator clips from the ends of the leads. Take a couple of tiny male spade type solderless connections (Stakons) and crimp one to each of the two test lamp leads. Plug these into the fuse holder just as if they were the prongs of a fuse. Or, places like Autozone sell a special fuse that actually has leads that you can you can attach things to. However you do this, make it up well and secure it tightly so it can’t get yanked out.

The test lamp should light up just as brightly as when it was attached to the battery.

Now look in your owners manual (sometimes it will give more detail than the fuse box cover) and see what things are driven by this circuit. Then, while dragging your test lamp around with you (see why I said to make it up with nice long leads) start disconnecting things one at a time. As you do this, leave the component disconnected.

This is basically the same procedure as we used to find the faulty circuit – we are now just dialing in as to exactly where within the circuit the problem lies. Watch the lamp at all times, when you pull the connector off of the right thing the light will dim and you will have found the bad component.
Repair it or replace as necessary. Plug everything else back in too. Check your work with the lamp.

Okay, what if you disconnected everything single thing in the circuit and the lamp is still bright? Either your owners manual is not providing enough detail and there are other things still connected to the circuit or, and this sucks- the problem is within the wiring harness.

If it is because there is still something plugged in that the manual (or fuse box) doesn’t mention, get the appropriate wiring diagram/schematics and ring the system out. This procedure is more involved than most backyard mechanics are capable of and you may need to seek professional help. CRAIG YOU ARE AN ELECTRICIAN – YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

If it is in the wiring, again here is where the long leads come in handy. Pick one component and, starting from where it mounts, begin wiggling and shaking the wiring bundle (always watching the test lamp), working back towards the battery. It will take some time but eventually you should see the bulb dim. Play around with the wires in that area, open the bundle carefully with a sharp knife, pull on them, twist them, do whatever you need to do to find the ground.

But always remember we are looking for a hot wire that is grounded to the chassis - not a short circuit between two wires. So pay special attention in areas where the wiring can touch the frame or where it passes through a tight penetration.

Good luck. There are other methods to find a buried ground (the smoke test for example) but they are for professionals only. But with any luck, these methods should find and repair your ground.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06