Hello! First time square body owner here!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
Well it worked absolutely fine when i got it. did right up until i noticed that wire. and or turned the the cylinder without the key to start it.

Why suggest a whole new column?

Edit:problem solved. the wire i repaired didnt hold up. so it wasnt connecting to the solenoid good enough to start the engine. Also found all my hot wires coming off the starter to power the truck are bare wire. so thats defiantly got to be fixed now

Last edited:

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
Well as it turned out. its in the park safety switch. it wont start unless you hold the shifter just above reverse,

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job figuring it out

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is probably why buddy was eager to swap you trucks. Its a bit of a process to get to that tumbler to change it.

On the flip side all of these trucks at some point need to have their steering columns gone through especially if you have a tilt column.

Options

Go to the junk yard and find a column that is in good shape that fits your application----You may spend years doing this or you might luck out.

Have a professional rebuild your column. If it is tilt there are 2 bolts that need to be locktited into place at the bottom of column.

Buy a rebuilt one and install it your self. Really not the most difficult thing to do.

I dunno probably looking at the $500-$1000 range to have a rebuilt column either way at the end of the day.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12525.0

4 bolts sir

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
One thing ive noticed is. when i get the truck on pull up hill. and i give it the extra gas to keep up with traffic. theres this tapping kinda like rattling that comes out from under the hood.

I thought it might be valves but the noise is only there if im pulling up hill. and it also doesnt seem to go with the RPMs. its just a steady noise when the trucks under load up hill, its also not everytime either. just on occasion.

And either my oil pump is failing? or the old aftermarket gauge is wrong, but at idle in gear. the gauge only shows 10pounds, and when driving it shows 20-30 lbs. when not in gear it idles 20lbs and revs to about 40lbs. how would i go about testing the actually pressure to see if maybe my gauge is bad? the gauge is Mechanical. or what else could cause this? i know the rear main is leaking, but thats only maybe half a quart every once and awhile. Im worried. just dont want to blow it up.

But, on side note. im getting a Free 1983 Chevy g20 conversion van, 4 speed auto, not sure on the motor. that it just needs a starter.

Bman

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC sierra classic 1500
Engine Size
5.0/ 305 LE9
So i had installed a sunpro temp gauge. well it failed after 1 month. piece of crap huh?

So i went and got the trucks original temperature switch and installed it. hooked it back up. and as it turns out the gauge works just fine. not sure why that was never done to begin with.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size