Heater/Def Blower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Perdido

Reaction score
First Name
Skeeter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Howdy. My 85 K20 Suburban has an odd issue I cannot figure out. My AC compressor wonked out back in 1995, so no belt on the compressor. The heat and defrost worked fine until a year ago.

The blower fan started making a big racket and then seized a year ago. It isn't that cold here often so I procrastinated fixing the fan. A week ago I replaced the blower motor/fan and when I tried to use the fan control, the battery light came on and fan no workee. I used to slide the AC/Heat control from left to right and the Batt light would come on as I passed the AC then the fan/heat would work.

Now I am at a dead end as to cause.

Ideas? Solutions?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Sounds like you have something shorting to ground. I'd bet your AC compressor clutch is shorted to ground which is why it stopped working. When your blower motor failed it might have fried the resister or the relay which could be causing the short in the blower motor circuit.

El Perdido

Reaction score
First Name
Skeeter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
The compressor seized in -20 degree cold. AC was not on, but the dang thing just wasn't turning the pulley. So I took the belt off.
I'll check the wires to the compressor for a short. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke