Heater Core Hoses and Heating Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ 3

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
On my new purchased 1979 stepside with a 350 engine I am having an issue with interior heat. Everything works electrically but my VW's seems to blow out hotter heater air than my truck. I have replaced the thermostat with a known working one (I tested it first).

After looking over the heater core hoses they start at the intake manifold. Then run to the heater core and back to the radiator. After looking at my 2003 4.3 Blazer and 1993 305 truck. Both return from the heater core and run to the water pump.

On my 1979 truck I have a plug at my water pump that I could unscrew and run my heater core return there like my other Chevy's. So which way is correct, return to radiator or return to water pump?

Could this quick fix solve my heating issues or do I totally have other issues. Like a plugged heater core or a not working cable somewhere.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I don't recommend installing used T-stats. A nice new Mr. Gasket T-stat (top of the line) is dirt cheap. Just because a T-stat tests ok in a pan of water doesn't mean it'll last, be accurate, flow properly, blah, blah, blah.

Regarding the heater, remove the hoses from the core. Foreward flush and backward flush the heater core. Do similarly with the hoses to the engine.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Deja vu! Another member asked a very similar question yesterday.

Flow through the core is in from the bottom, up through the coils and out the top.

The bottom hose is the higher pressure hose and connects to the nipple on the intake manifold.

The return to the engine is from the top of the core and can connect to either the tapped connection on the water pump or the nipple on the top of the RH side of the radiator. Schematically speaking, in the system the are in the same run of pipe.

See this link for more information/images

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8877

Slick51

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Maybe too late to be helpful here, but I just fixed a similar problem with my 1985 c10 with a later model 350. My ducting worked fine and the air blew out of the correct holes, but it never got hot. My problem ended up being that there were 2 ports out of the water pump that I could connect the heater hose to, one to the passenger side (right) and the other to the driver side (left). I had it hooked to the right side of the pump which turned out to be more on the suction side of the impeller. I switch the lines in wammo! Warm air out of the heater. Hope this helps!

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I don't recommend installing used T-stats. A nice new Mr. Gasket T-stat (top of the line) is dirt cheap. Just because a T-stat tests ok in a pan of water doesn't mean it'll last, be accurate, flow properly, blah, blah, blah.
I'm not sure I'd qualify anything with a Mr Gasket logo on it as "top of the line". Stant is the name you want to look for in thermostats.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stant is good stuff.
Forwards flush heater core, then reverse, then, blow through with compressed air, very carefully until all the water and sludge is pushed out, then open the air a bit more, reflush, blow, and flush and blow through until water becomes clear.
Intake manifold is pressure side. Also, hook pressure side to lower on the heater core, hot water rises and helps the flow.

Joseph Gossec

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
friend
There are a number of things that can cause your heater to fail. The first thing you need to figure out is whether or not there is heat available to your car's heating system.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There is a number of things we don't allow at this forum, and that's SPAMMERS, especially stupid ones that don't even make sense with their post. Buh Bye DipShit !!!

BTW members, This is the 2nd time in less than 7 days this guys has posted and I've banned him within minutes or a couple hours of his post under 2 different ID's now and 2 different IP Addy's.

I know it's the same guy because his siggy has a link to some kind of out of the country Auto Supply website. I don't know if that site is safe so I suggest, DO NOT GO TO ANY LINKS that SPAMMER posts. Simply Report the Post so the first mod on duty can BAN him and get the link removed for the forum.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:lazer:

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Reminds me a lot of another fellow - you know - the one that explained, so well, the function of the engine's cooling system. I have adopted his post as my signature.

Bern Anthony

Name: A6M

Year: 2006
Model: c30
Engine: red

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His answer to the question: How does the coolant flow?

Your cooling system is what keeps your car from having a meltdown. If you didn't have some way to cool things off, your engine would turn into a solid block of useless metal in no time flat.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I deleted the link from your post Jerry. Yes, they are connected. When you find things like that, Please use the REPORT POST feature.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Now I am trying to find that post. If you can link me to that thread Jerry... so I can find the post. I banned Bern Anthony, now I can't find him in Member list to search his posts. Banning him removes his siggy, so we're good there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok, so that was his only post and now that he's banned and his link is gone. We'll go ahead and leave his advice in that thread. You know how beneficial that is to the forum and to those who didn't know. :rofl: :rolleyes: Seems he only does 1 post per name. He's using different IP Address with each ID he registers with. And the IP's aren't even close so it's not like we can ban a range. I'll get with Shaggy to see how to stop this jerk off. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrusher