Has Anyone Seen These Mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I am biased, yes, but I really like the mirrors on my square... I dont know if they are stock or what they came off, though :(
You must be registered for see images attach

They are aftermarket or around 1967-72 Ford. Kinda of a mini West Coast mirror. Popular upgrade in the 70's.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'm also planning to fab a brace for the inside of the door, hopefully a bit beefier than stock. I'll have some body and paint work done on my truck, so I'm not so worried about the holes from the old mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I want to pass on a tip regarding filling the old holes. You want to cut out about a 2"x2" square and weld in a new piece. he reason is because there will be micro cracks (or not, you will see them) and they will continue to rust, eventually making a mess and further work. It's those decades of road vibrations going through the mirrors that create these micro cracks around the holes.
I live in BC where camping has always been popular, so we have a lot of Camper Specials out here and those that get restored often ditch the 4 point mirrors for the newer style. The bodyman fills the old holes with weld and moves on... only to have his work go up in rust only a few years down the road.
Maybe this is more of an issue in rust belt areas, I'm just passing on what I've seen.
Oh and welcome to the site, thanks for joining!

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am biased, yes, but I really like the mirrors on my square... I dont know if they are stock or what they came off, though :(

Called a “West coast Jr” mirror. Came standard on some ford trucks in the bump side and dent side era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LukeDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
I want to pass on a tip regarding filling the old holes. You want to cut out about a 2"x2" square and weld in a new piece. he reason is because there will be micro cracks (or not, you will see them) and they will continue to rust, eventually making a mess and further work. It's those decades of road vibrations going through the mirrors that create these micro cracks around the holes.
I live in BC where camping has always been popular, so we have a lot of Camper Specials out here and those that get restored often ditch the 4 point mirrors for the newer style. The bodyman fills the old holes with weld and moves on... only to have his work go up in rust only a few years down the road.
Maybe this is more of an issue in rust belt areas, I'm just passing on what I've seen.
Oh and welcome to the site, thanks for joining!
I'll sure keep an eye out for it, thanks for the info! Down here in OK, the rust isn't nearly as bad. This truck only has a little in the door wells. If I see any cracks, I'll surely replace that section!

LukeDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size

I like them too!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'll sure keep an eye out for it, thanks for the info! Down here in OK, the rust isn't nearly as bad. This truck only has a little in the door wells. If I see any cracks, I'll surely replace that section!

But you might NOT see any cracks... they start as invisible micro cracks... we can't see them but RUST sure as hell does.

LukeDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
But you might NOT see any cracks... they start as invisible micro cracks... we can't see them but RUST sure as hell does.
I see. I misunderstood your post! In my case, the body has 104k miles on it, and it has the stock dumbo mirrors. Do you expect they'll be cracked?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I see. I misunderstood your post! In my case, the body has 104k miles on it, and it has the stock dumbo mirrors. Do you expect they'll be cracked?

If you're investing a lot of time and $ into your paint job, I would NOT take any chances.
Understand it will cost more.. you can't expect your body man to do this without getting paid. Not a super big deal, but still, extra work is extra work.
Again, my experience seeing this problem reoccur is in a salty rust belt...
Maybe with decent lighting and magnifying glass you can inspect the hole for rust or damage and go from there.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

The D45 mirrors you have tend not to crack the door. There are re-enforcement braces that attach the mirror to the inside of the door frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota