Has anybody converted burb rear AC to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr wonderful

Reaction score
First Name
johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
c200
Engine Size
I want to convert my rear AC unit to heat in my 86 suburban. Any ideas? Thanks..

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
Suburbans and Blazers ha a factory option for rear heat. It was basically a blower motor and heater core mounted to the far passenger rear corner (next to where the a/c lines come up through the floor) it's expensive to put it in if ordering the parts from LMC. Although I'm sure you could just get some 3/4 and 5/8 steel pipe bend it to the same path of the A/C lines and then pull the A/C interior cover and find a heater core the same size and swap it out it would work. Just basically swap the A/C stuff to heater stuff. I would imagine time consuming but simple for the most part.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It could probably done without too much trouble, but remember, heat goes up. If it starts up high, it's not going to actually heat anyone very well. The floor heater kits can still be found.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I would tend to think you would not want to have the rear heater core mounted higher than the radiator opening. Also, you would have to split the flor of coolant and have a way to control that flow. IMO if you just simply put in a "Y" split without any way to control the flow i would think the flow of coolant coming from the motor would flow the path of least resistance and mainly flow trough the front core. I may stand to be corrected on that theory. have 2 of the factory rear heat units. There is also a control valve to split and divert coolant to the front or rear heater core as needed. That sucker is expensive. There are plenty of aftermarket units tough. I am just wondering how well they really work. That coolant has to try and flow pretty far to get for he rear of one on these beasts. You would figure a lot of heat would be lost on its trip back there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

mr wonderful

Reaction score
First Name
johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
c200
Engine Size
I had an 88 burb with the factory rear heat,it worked great but
Way too vulnerable. Yes,the heat up high might not be the best,but it's
Coming out from behind the backseat anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76