Harmonic balancer marks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey folks Ive got a new harmonic balancer and ive got to many marks and number goin on here.

to set initial timing am I using the numbers on the damper or the line? Also my pointer on my timing cover has numbers to. Where am I aligning there?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey folks Ive got a new harmonic balancer and ive got to many marks and number goin on here.

to set initial timing am I using the numbers on the damper or the line? Also my pointer on my timing cover has numbers to. Where am I aligning there?

Use the line that matches your original, or whichever one lines up with the pointer at TDC. Just use the numbers on your pointer.

If the balancer has sever marks for several applications, I don't know if I'd trust the number markings on it. Your factory pointer should be fine.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
first find TDC.. you can use several methods to do this. a piston stop is the most accurate way while it is in the truck.

after you find TDC, this will reveal which mark/numbers you should go by. I always thought timing tape was really just for your total timing and the timing pointer is for initial timing.

give us some pics to go by what you are trying to tell us.

BigAl285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
383 S.B.C
The long line should be set to zero an set your timing using that. On mine I have a long line that goes across the balancer and that is zero. Could always call the place you got it from.

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The line on the balancer is a reference to set timing. It moves based on how you set the timing. Advance it and the line moves above 0 and retard it and it goes below 0

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
To set initial (rough) timing has nothing to do with the marks on the balancer or the chain cover. It is all about rotor position in relation to #1 piston when it is at TDC.

1. Pull all your sparkplugs out - makes moving the engine much easier.

2. As Boone says - bring the #1 piston to TDC (on compression/both valves closed). For initial timing this does not have be exact. Use a small screwdriver in the sparkplug hole. Rock the crankshaft back and forth until you find the approximate highest point of piston travel. Don't move the crankshaft any more!

3. Locate the #1 post on the distributor cap

4. Make a mark on the distributor base directly in line with the #1 post. Something like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

5. Pull the distributor cap and note the position of the rotor. It should be pointing directly at the mark on the distributor base. If it points a little to the left, that's good.

6. Put the cap back on.

You have set the initial timing.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Now, we can get into the relationship of the timing mark on the balancer to the tab on the timing chain cover. I have to assume that the engine is original (and pre- 1986).

I also hope that the new balancer is for a pre-86 engine.

There are 3 types of balancers with 3 different timing slot index points. Location of the timing slot on the outer rim depends on the year. We will disregard the pre 1969 configuration. It goes like this:

And there are two styles of timing chain covers.

1986 and up:

Pre 1986:

If you have the correct balancer for the position of the tab on the cover - the slot will be lined up with the 0 mark on the tab. You can use your timing light as normal and set your timing to 10-12 BTDC (or whatever you like).

If your new balancer is not the correct type for the timing tab on the cover - the slot will be nowhere near the tab. You will have to dial in the timing by ear - or get the correct style balancer..

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good job

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think the zero mark on the balancer will line up with the zero mark on the timing cover tab. Looks like that balancer is made for a cover that has only a pointer. Either way it will work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-80000/overview/
Here is a little more info on the balancer.

Last edited:

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You were right the zero on the balancer is what I used to line up the timing cover numbers and it fired right up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman