Hard 'clank' when putting into reverse _sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I know all of my chevys do it my 83 not so much it doesnt move very often, my 98 and my 05. I have been told just normal GM driveline clunk. I have seen people on other forums drill and tap then put a grease zerk on the driveshaft yoke that comes from the trans and apply a little shot of grease to it and then it goes away. I replaced all my u joints on my 98 and still did it took To have rear end checked (backlash) and even the dealer heard it but couldn't do anything for me

Now that you mention it, my brother's '01 does do it too. :roflbow:

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
on the newer trucks, if you take out the driveshaft and put a teflon grease inside the front shaft yoke, it should go away for awhile. it is normal. on the new ones anyways. same as the f*ckin intermediate steering shafts. worked at a gm dealer before ford. seen lots of shaft snap noises. it binds on the output shaft splines. at least thats what the general told us.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
on the newer trucks, if you take out the driveshaft and put a teflon grease inside the front shaft yoke, it should go away for awhile. it is normal. on the new ones anyways. same as the f*ckin intermediate steering shafts. worked at a gm dealer before ford. seen lots of shaft snap noises. it binds on the output shaft splines. at least thats what the general told us.

On that steering shaft, all the grease really did, was kept the shaft more towards the center of the pin it was riding on rather than allow it to fall to one side or the other which is what created the bind and the noise. I had an 03 Avalanche and an 04 CrewCab that I had the shafts replaced before GM decided no replacements, just fill the cup with grease fixed the problem... temporarily.

dee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i have two ready to go so i can swap them when they get noisey. regrease and wait for next time

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
Okay well im going to drag my brother in law under the truck while i run through the gears.So he can tell me if he see's anything.

Been a lot of help guys im not as stressed as i was at all.

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
Okay update on CLANK..i ran it back and forth thru N to R it seems to be about the middle of the truck and N to D nuthin'...when i can going to ck trans mount and joint coming out of trans...

But other people in my industry asked me if it shakes..(no)..wobble (no),,they just said its a GM thing now i have done this a long damn time never heard that before....now i took it cold no one i knew and had them drive it..thats where i got the it's a GM thing

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Both my 79's have the reverse clank my 3+3 needs a new steady bearing does have a lil drive line vibration but just had a new driveshaft put in last year I think even my suburban lights did it

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Both my 79's have the reverse clank my 3+3 needs a new steady bearing does have a lil drive line vibration but just had a new driveshaft put in last year I think even my suburban lights did it

Steady bearing? :think: Is that the same as a carrier bearing, like on a 2pc driveshaft? I never heard it called a steady bearing before. I replaced lots of those things on my 62 half ton. To much hp/torque. I'd break them off at the mounting bracket base. Bearing was good, but the bracket stem would snap. Never broke a 3/4 one though. Much stronger design and heavier bracketry.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Steady bearing? :think: Is that the same as a carrier bearing, like on a 2pc driveshaft? I never heard it called a steady bearing before. I replaced lots of those things on my 62 half ton. To much hp/torque. I'd break them off at the mounting bracket base. Bearing was good, but the bracket stem would snap. Never broke a 3/4 one though. Much stronger design and heavier bracketry.

Yea that's all I've ever heard em called steady bearing, its not bad but it has a bit of play in it and causes a bit of a vibration at anything over 110km/h the u joints all look and feel good, ill prolly replace when I do the dually swap since ill have it all apart, other then that mechanically its sound

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't be suprised if you replace the bearing and it doesn't take the vibration out. Many times it the dshaft or U joints that are out of balance or bad, then they vibrate and that causes the bearing to get a little play in it. So replacing the bearing may not fix the problem.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Don't be suprised if you replace the bearing and it doesn't take the vibration out. Many times it the dshaft or U joints that are out of balance or bad, then they vibrate and that causes the bearing to get a little play in it. So replacing the bearing may not fix the problem.

I pretty sure its the steady bearing the driveshaft was just replaced with a new one 6 months before I bought the truck but the guy never did the bearing does :doh2: if that doesn't fix it then ill do the u joints Thnx for the info man

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Chock the front wheels, put the rear on jackstands, put the trans in neutral and check to see if the pinion yoke may have come loose a little. You may even have to take the driveshaft loose from the pinion to be able to check it. My Toyota has a carrier bearing on the d-shaft and had a vibration at a certain highway speed, it would go away above or below that speed. Checked the pinion and the nut was about 1/4 turn loose, just enough for the pinion to rattle around a little. If you catch it early you might keep from junking the pinion seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76