Halfshaft Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I'm getting a strange noise in the front passenger side when reversing with the wheel turn to the right at full lock. It's only when the truck is reversing and not when moving forward. At first I thought it was the tire rubbing something but I have plenty of clearance. Would the u-joint and the axle stub shaft make noise only going one direction?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I'm getting a strange noise in the front passenger side when reversing with the wheel turn to the right at full lock. It's only when the truck is reversing and not when moving forward. At first I thought it was the tire rubbing something but I have plenty of clearance. Would the u-joint and the axle stub shaft make noise only going one direction?
Are the hubs locked? Otherwise they shouldn't even be turning when you are moving in either direction.... right?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Is the caliper loose? Stuck? Brake pads both in good shape and not loose against rotor? Any play in rotor up/down movement?

I would be more inclined to think it would be something loose, hitting inside of wheel or dragging on the rotor. Reason, at full lock the right the pass. side tire is at the sharpest turn causing force on wheel to pitch towards the top to the front of the vehicle while backing up.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
The hubs are not locked. I went to the Kroger parking lot and tried locking and unlocking to see if it made a difference. The driver's side gets much noiser if I lock it but I noticed no difference on the passenger side.

My wheels are new and painted black. I don't see any marks to suggest it's dragging the inside of the wheel. Brakes are fine as far as I can tell..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69