Found the clunk and had an epiphany. Dana 60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had a slight clunking issue with the front diff. Only noticeable under 5 mph when turning. Pulled the hub today and discovered the inner spindle nut was about 3/4 turn from being snug. Both sides. Blame it in the young soldier who serviced it many years ago. FYI, I pulled the axles from a CUCV.
Anyway, it got me thinking because I pulled everything apart just to see how it works. First thought was, "my God, those axle shafts are gynormous"! They must be an inch and a half in diameter. I noticed the u-joints between the inner & outer shaft have no zerk fitting? The joint feels tight with zero play.
This got me thinking and I'm looking for confirmation on this: If you have a part time T-case and lockout hubs then the shaft (and u-joint) ONLY turn when in 4wd, correct? If so, I would assume there are a lot of trucks out there where the front diff has virtually no miles on it compared to the rear. If you never drive in 4wd, the only wear on the front axle (not counting suspension and steering) are the wheel bearings.
What say y'all?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Yeah, they typically have very minimal where compared to rear or full time front axles.

The front end parts can move while driving because the fluid current in the tcase will slowly turn the front driveshaft. There’s no real speed or power going to the front axle so no real appreciable amount of wear.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Still amazed at the size of the Dana 60 components.

Attachments

• IMG_20221127_134451395.jpg
    IMG_20221127_134451395.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20221127_134402390_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221127_134402390_HDR.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 40

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Had a slight clunking issue with the front diff. Only noticeable under 5 mph when turning. Pulled the hub today and discovered the inner spindle nut was about 3/4 turn from being snug. Both sides. Blame it in the young soldier who serviced it many years ago. FYI, I pulled the axles from a CUCV.
Anyway, it got me thinking because I pulled everything apart just to see how it works. First thought was, "my God, those axle shafts are gynormous"! They must be an inch and a half in diameter. I noticed the u-joints between the inner & outer shaft have no zerk fitting? The joint feels tight with zero play.
This got me thinking and I'm looking for confirmation on this: If you have a part time T-case and lockout hubs then the shaft (and u-joint) ONLY turn when in 4wd, correct? If so, I would assume there are a lot of trucks out there where the front diff has virtually no miles on it compared to the rear. If you never drive in 4wd, the only wear on the front axle (not counting suspension and steering) are the wheel bearings.
What say y'all?
I think I remember there being something about the low hanging pinion vs the high pinion and the direction of the gears , so 4wd moving forward is like wear as moving rearwards is to your rear diff. But Im not up on that science, I just rmemeber seeing it brought up where someone wanted a ford high pinion 44 because of that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadsc10