Guidance needed to lower suspension on restomod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1942GPW

Reaction score
First Name
Porter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I need some pointers on how to lower it down a couple inches to fit into my garage. I have a ruff country 4” lift in the front on an unknown year k20. My guess is it’s a 1977 but would need help to id it. Cab perch is covering where a serial number should be. The rear has 1.5 ton springs with a block to raise height. Is it as simple as removing the block in picture and maybe the u bolts? Is there a 2” front spring lift kit on the market? What else am I in for? Thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

1942GPW

Reaction score
First Name
Porter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Uploaded wrong picture, here are suspension pics

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Nice IH. I have a friend that collects them. I think he's up to 9 Travelalls, Trucks and Scouts.

Are you keeping the current tires? How does the truck ride? I'm guessing very stiff. You have more rear leaves than my 1 ton does.

If you are looking at just lowering it a couple of inches, yes just removing the rear blocks will do that. If you want a softer ride, take out some of the lower leaves, but leave the blocks.

With regards to the front springs, they look similar to my old Rancho springs. I would first get measurement between the axle and the frame. Hopefully someone with a K20 will chime in with their measurement to determine how much lift you currently have. That way you can purchase the correct height replacement spring. You can also trying removing a leaf or two from the front pack if you want to save some money.

I had a Tuff Country 4" EZ Ride spring in my last truck, it rode really nice. They do make a 2" spring.

1942GPW

Reaction score
First Name
Porter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I will work on getting the measurements. My hay broker looked at it an thinks the rear springs are 1.5 ton. It has 33” tires on the dreaded 16.5 no bead lock wheels. I will replace with humvee set someday. Mud tires useless in Colorado lol. A picture of it when we bought it and why I need it out of the barn! Thanks

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I looked over your pictures again. It looks like you have a dropped pitman arm and the raised steering arm. It you lower the front you may need to remove one of those. You'll want the drag link to be level or a slight downward angle.

On my K10/20 trucks and a 4" lift I've always run just the steering arm. On my K30 I'm running only the dropped pitman arm as I only have a 3" lift.

1942GPW

Reaction score
First Name
Porter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

The front clearance from top of axle tube to bottom of the frame is 12”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85