GMT400 HVAC swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John-e Bravada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 3+3
Engine Size
5.9L CTD
Similar to Valyidol's post, I didn't want to hijack his, I'm trying to fit a 96' HVAC system into my 86'. I had to hack my trans tunnel and remove my engine bay side of my 86' Crew Cab HVAC. The GMT400 system is almost all under the dash, electronically controlled, and a lot cheaper then a Vintage Air setup. With my Cummins swap I also don't have a vacuum source. I realize the lines will be custom to go between the GM condensor and the Cummins compressor and evaporator but I'm hoping I can make it work. The GM compressor looks like it might bolt to the Cummins... Maybe I can use all GM components.

I'm looking for help on how to remove the GMT400 system and if it will fit in a square body dash. I'm not apposed to cutting and modifying.

Any help/pics would be appreciated. I'll detail my progress as I get into it.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I read on Facebook about someone using a setup from a Colorado. The box is smaller an all self contained an all cable operated. Might be an easier solution?

John-e Bravada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 3+3
Engine Size
5.9L CTD
I might have to look into that. I had a GMT box lined up but it looks like that fell thru. I have to go quite a ways to get to a good u-pull-a-part but maybe I'll have to take a day and look over a bunch of different vehicles. The hot rod guys talk about using compact car units but I don't know if they would put out enough to cool/heat a crew cab. I'll have to see what else is totally under dash and electronically controlled.

John-e Bravada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 3+3
Engine Size
5.9L CTD
I found a new pull-a-part locally and checked them out this weekend. Almost all of the American cars and trucks there were vacuum operated. The compact car units spilled into the center console. So I ended up with a cable operated under dash unit out of a 1994 Isuzu Trooper. I hope it fits. It was the smallest import(non vacuum) unit I could find. This is going to be a pain to make work but I don't know another way around it. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag