Glide out spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I noticed my 78 k10 has the bracket on the right rear outside frame rail for the glide out carrier.
Unfortunately that's the only part still on the truck.
Does anyone have one?
Couple of pics I've found.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-165506_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-165506_Chrome.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot_20210917-170053_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-170053_Chrome.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_20210917-170109_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-170109_Chrome.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 211

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

this is an ebay listing seen once for a NOS set to add on. if the clearer paint jobs and lay out helps at all, hopefully.

also my 78 k10 frame has the bracket too, thats all. i just wanted to relate on that lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

this is my trailer, it has what appears to be the one crossmember piece. i have seen more laying on my property, if its the same one i have that piece for sure i could sell.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI

this is an ebay listing seen once for a NOS set to add on. if the clearer paint jobs and lay out helps at all, hopefully.

also my 78 k10 frame has the bracket too, thats all. i just wanted to relate on that lol.
Yep, that's what I have. They are riveted, probably the only reason it's still there.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI

this is my trailer, it has what appears to be the one crossmember piece. i have seen more laying on my property, if its the same one i have that piece for sure i could sell.
I need to see if I have the crossmember.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AuroraGirl,

Is that some year specific? I have never seen that before. Every truck I've seen had that stupid back breaking crossmember with the long bolt thing on one end that has that lock screw thing on it, and on the other end is that long bolt with that little plate thing that goes up on the frame. And to get the tire on the crossmember you have to heft the tire up onto it then pick the tire and crossmember thing up onto the long bolt and screw lock thing, and then lay there and screw that lock thing with the tire iron or a big screw driver or something, up that lo-o-ong bolt until it was tight up against the frame. My God! I hated that thing!

So, is there a detailed picture somewhere of how what you have, works? I've never seen it and don't know how it's supposed to work.

I went to a wrecking yard that used to be here that had only new cars and trucks. There I bought one of the crank up spare tire devices that you put a long rod through your bumper to connect to the crank mech. and you crank the tire down. Much better! I got it off a, new then '95 Chevy shortbed, except for the crossmember it was attached to, because it was riveted to the frame. I figure I can use the old crossmember, of that kind I hate, that I did keep, and make a crossmember out of it, maybe.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
one of the first photos he posted I think is how itsdesigned to work,ive never seen it in person. I likely have all the parts for the system but no idea where at and i doubt it would have hardware still lol i am not that lucky. anyway,from the looks of it, it isundone on the hanging off the frame rail hanger , and it pivots on a long bolt, and then it can turn outtoward the back or side where it would prob also be opened up a bit, you could grab your tire off it, do your change, put the other back on it or be fastened but nothing on it. The cross memeber that the kit i post a pic of has, im not sure why it has. the only thing i could think is if you had the original underbed normal stow system, you may need a different crossmember piece to fit this design. not sure.another possibility I can think of is to assist the carrier somehow if it were empty but I am just guessing random for that. my truck has moree steel in that area thanill ever be able to change or get through even trying to modify for the heck of it lol,makes sense why it always has had a bed stowed tire

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
@AuroraGirl,

Is that some year specific? I have never seen that before. Every truck I've seen had that stupid back breaking crossmember with the long bolt thing on one end that has that lock screw thing on it, and on the other end is that long bolt with that little plate thing that goes up on the frame. And to get the tire on the crossmember you have to heft the tire up onto it then pick the tire and crossmember thing up onto the long bolt and screw lock thing, and then lay there and screw that lock thing with the tire iron or a big screw driver or something, up that lo-o-ong bolt until it was tight up against the frame. My God! I hated that thing!

So, is there a detailed picture somewhere of how what you have, works? I've never seen it and don't know how it's supposed to work.

I went to a wrecking yard that used to be here that had only new cars and trucks. There I bought one of the crank up spare tire devices that you put a long rod through your bumper to connect to the crank mech. and you crank the tire down. Much better! I got it off a, new then '95 Chevy shortbed, except for the crossmember it was attached to, because it was riveted to the frame. I figure I can use the old crossmember, of that kind I hate, that I did keep, and make a crossmember out of it, maybe.
It seems multiple years had them, 70s and 80s squares.
I've never seen one fully intact in person.
I did the same thing you didn't on my 87. Put the wench style from a gmt400. Of course kept all of the original spare tire carrier parts.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
One of my favorite personal peeves. The spare tire carrier.

Glide out carrier is demonstrated in this dealer video at 12:57:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The two crossmember pieces, one ahead of and one behind were there to support the tire. I @$$ume to keep it from rocking. If you didn't order a spare when you bought the truck you didn't get the crossmembers. Ask me how I know.

Speaking of which, when I tried to buy them from the dealer only one was still available. The rest of the parts were also NLA. The parts guy recommended the winch type holder which I bought, but missing the other crossmember I never got around to installing. Fast forward several years and the internet exists, I'm able to find all the parts to put an original carrier and crossmembers together and I discovered the same thing @RaiderL discovered. That fugger is heavy! So at some point I'll be installing the winch. But I'm keeping the original too. Belt and suspenders, you know. And I will never hate the factory tire carrier regardless of how heavy and awkward it is. What I hated was having the spare in the truck bed. That was frikin' awkard.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
One of my favorite personal peeves. The spare tire carrier.

Glide out carrier is demonstrated in this dealer video at 12:57:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The two crossmember pieces, one ahead of and one behind were there to support the tire. I @$$ume to keep it from rocking. If you didn't order a spare when you bought the truck you didn't get the crossmembers. Ask me how I know.

Speaking of which, when I tried to buy them from the dealer only one was still available. The rest of the parts were also NLA. The parts guy recommended the winch type holder which I bought, but missing the other crossmember I never got around to installing. Fast forward several years and the internet exists, I'm able to find all the parts to put an original carrier and crossmembers together and I discovered the same thing @RaiderL discovered. That fugger is heavy! So at some point I'll be installing the winch. But I'm keeping the original too. Belt and suspenders, you know. And I will never hate the factory tire carrier regardless of how heavy and awkward it is. What I hated was having the spare in the truck bed. That was frikin' awkard.
are you talking about the glide out spare being too heavy or just the old fashion retainer typee? also nice video thanks. i have al ot of those crossmembers all over. the long thin one lol

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
are you talking about the glide out spare being too heavy or just the old fashion retainer typee? also nice video thanks. i have al ot of those crossmembers all over. the long thin one lol
The regular one. Never tried a glide out.

There's two crossmembers for the spare. The forward one has a bend and the rear one is flat. I was able to buy the forward one from the dealer. The rear one came from Ray and Samantha on eBay.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
The regular one. Never tried a glide out.

There's two crossmembers for the spare. The forward one has a bend and the rear one is flat. I was able to buy the forward one from the dealer. The rear one came from Ray and Samantha on eBay.
If I can't find the glide out one I'll just put the standard one on. Better than laying in the bed. I do have some time to find one since it's a project.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the video,this glide out carrier is a new one on me.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my spare tire carrier wasnt even gm, it was made by gpa. He had an underbed but he didnt have the truck long when he put that spring box in for farm trailers with just a pin. So that takes up the spacewhere it would go. you can see it sit above the ball

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
also low friction coatings or powder coating the swing arm would be a fantastic idea (or both) so that themetal glides on itself easily and then the tire doesnt stick to it. The ez slide paint would be good i think because it would be graphite which is inert. ALTHOUGH, it is... slightly conductive, so not sure if that would be a bad idea for steel wheel?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84