gear indicator lamp install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I thought I would start a new thread for this so it wouldn't get lost in the other discussion.
You must be registered for see images attach
In the above pic you can see how I soldered the lamp wires along side the connector. I looked and looked for a place to put the wires for this light. I knew it had to be as close to the gear indicator as I could get it, and I really didn't want to cut into the wires for the lights so I decided to lay the wires along side of the female spade connections. I know that's unorthadox, but that's hot rodding, you do what works as long as it looks good, not just rigging it so it's barely holding, no. It needs to look like it's supposed to be that way. Well, I have to admit I may have deviated somewhat but it does look okay. And with the addition of the zip-tie, that holds the wires in place so they won't work loose.
The hole I found is in the middle of this picture with the wires to the right of it. Nothing goes in this hole, as I was concerned that I wouldn't notice a panel screw would have to go in it I may have over looked, but it wasn't being used and it was right at the indicator.
In the above picture you can see the lamp is right at the indicator and this gauge wire is stiff enough so the light will hold itself in place okay. And when I closed the panel up against the dash the lamp is just out of the way.
I'm so glad this photo came out! You can clearly see the light on the pointer as it glows orange. There actually is more light coming from the gauges, so all is lighted okay.

Last edited:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Nice job, but I am confused- Goldie's indicator is illuminated.

I dont remember any of these beasts not having lights for that- is there a hole in your instrument cluster missing a bulb and holder ?

:think:

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Pic !

Attachments

• 20211202_213452.jpg
    20211202_213452.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 68

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Goldie Driver,

Oh heck yeah! When I put in my Autometer gauges I cut half of that White plastic box away. You know, it has the holes for all the factory gauges. Well I couldn't use that anymore because it was in the way, so it's gone. Well, if it had a hole for that indicator light I wouldn't know it. That why I had to do mine like I did tonight.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I see you've got a full tank of gas! What did it cost you?

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I see you've got a full tank of gas! What did it cost you?

I fill her up every day - well, OK, TOP her off :baby: every day.

13.45 bux this morning for 4.486 gallons.

10.79 MPG this go round - seen worse, seen a little better a few times.

Pushing a brick thru the air at 70 MPH with an anemic, worn out , low compression emissions motor does not really equate to performance or efficiency ...

:driver:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got to drive the truck tonight running a couple of errands and with the lights on, dark at 6, I noticed the floor was well lit up under the dash with that one little light. I didn't expect to see that much light. But I also tested it during the day, to. The bulb didn't seem to be that bright when I tested it in the dark (see photo). But with the engine running that made all the difference. I'm going to have to figure out some design of a enclosure for that light, possibly made from some light cardboard, the kind you find in a new shirt packaging or something like that, I have. I'm always saving things like that because you never know what you might have to make. Yeah, I don't mind a little bit of light here or there but this is a lot of light. Sorta distracting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr