Gauges short out when turning signal is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
I have a 84 c10 I'm having problems finding a short. The headlines work good, right turn fine, but the left turning signal when I use it my amp gauge flickers a little. When I turn on my parking lights and the left turning signal is on all the gauges go all the way off (short out). I changed the headlight switch and tried a different dash. Where to I start to look for my short?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have a 84 c10 I'm having problems finding a short. The headlines work good, right turn fine, but the left turning signal when I use it my amp gauge flickers a little. When I turn on my parking lights and the left turning signal is on all the gauges go all the way off (short out). I changed the headlight switch and tried a different dash. Where to I start to look for my short?

Everyting goes off. Understand that OK.

But one question to you. Are they going "off" due to an open circuit or short w/ one or more fuses being affected? If so, which fuse(s)?
When you say "amp gauge flickers", what exactly do you mean?

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size

Everyting goes off. Understand that OK.

But one question to you. Are they going "off" due to an open circuit or short w/ one or more fuses being affected? If so, which fuse(s)?
When you say "amp gauge flickers", what exactly do you mean?
It doesn't flow any fuses. Once I turn either the lights or signal off everything goes right back to normal. And by flikering the amp gauge will drop about 2 volt when the turn signal flash on and back to normal when off. May also add when got the truck the back up lights stayed on and took the bulbs out . Haven't searched for that problem yet .

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Is there any aftermarket wiring like a radio or some other lights?

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
Is there any aftermarket wiring like a radio or some other lights?
Yes but I unhooked them completely and retested with the same result, so that should be eliminated.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
the next thing I would be checking is the ground wires. They should be attached to the cab behind the dash over towards the left side above the fuse block.

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
the next thing I would be checking is the ground wires. They should be attached to the cab behind the dash over towards the left side above the fuse block.
OK I'm out of town till this weekend, so I'll check. But your question got me thinking it has a steel roll pan and I'm sure the license plate light is aftermarket. I will check it and your ground suggestions . Thank you I'll let you know what I find.

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
Speedometer gear ratio

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
OK I'm out of town till this weekend, so I'll check. But your question got me thinking it has a steel roll pan and I'm sure the license plate light is aftermarket. I will check it and your ground suggestions . Thank you I'll let you know what I find.

OK after a long weekend and running down a lot of wire one of the 3 ground wires running to the back of the insterment cluster was not right ran a new ground wire and all is working as it should. It's amazing how one small wire could cause such headaches

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10