gauge???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hey i have a 84 K20 that i am working on. And i am putting in new gauges. For the fuel gauge what wire do i hook to the sender plug on the gauge. This junk asx book i have says its a tan/white wire. But the only tan/white wire i can find goes to the proportioning valve. Thanks in advance

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Look on the top of the tank for a wire

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I did there is a pink/black.wire that comes out of the top.of the tank and goes to the tank selector valve

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I did there is a pink/black.wire that comes out of the top.of the tank and goes to the tank selector valve

Yep, that's correct - for the auxiliary (RH) tank .

And, there should be a pink/white lead that goes from the Pollak valve to production (LH) tank.

The lead that runs from the instrument panel (goes through the firewall) and connects to the Pollak valve is just plain pink.

It is in the same harness loom as the rear lighting group.

You must be registered for see images attach

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thanks for that... but the only wires i can find that come from the fuel tanks or valve are the green wires that go thru the fire wall to the selector switch. Please exuse my ignorance bit wiring gives me a headache lol

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ok nevermind i found the pink wire. So that is what i hook to the fuel gauge sender plug?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
First of all;

Do you have dual tanks?

Is the tank select valve in place and operational?

Is there a tank select switch mounted and wired - on the dash board?

Did you see this:

Yep, that's correct - for the auxiliary (RH) tank .

And, there should be a pink/white lead that goes from the Pollak valve to production (LH) tank.

The lead that runs from the instrument panel (goes through the firewall) and connects to the Pollak valve is just plain pink.

That explains where each of the leads involved in level sensing runs (in a dual tank system) - and also what each end is connected to.

To recap:

The pink goes from the dash to the tank select valve (Pollak is just the name of the manufacturer).

Two wires come out of the Pollak valve (a pink/black & a pink/white).

The pink/black goes to the tab on the sender head of the auxiliary (RH/passenger side) tank.

The pink/white goes to the tab on the sender head of the production (LH/driver side) tank.

If you don't have (or are not using) a dual tank set-up, then the solid pink wire needs to go directly to the production tank (LH side).

These images show how the pink wire is connected to the stud on the sender head. The blue (sometimes black) wire connects to the spade type tab to a nearby grounding point and is connected by a bolt to the frame:

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Yes i have duel tanks.. i do not know if they are functional there is a switch o. Tbe dash but i have never ised it just got tbe truck and im rebuilding it. It all seems to be original. I thank you for replying but what i really neec to know is what wire i tap into on the dashboard circut connection to be able to run an aftermarket gauge.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The pink wire

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Chengny said it above, twice!

Pink/white to left hand tank
Pink/black to right hand tank

which both go to the selector valve on the frame and then turns into a solid pink wire which goes to the gauge, so find the solid pink wire.

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Chengny thanks for the info. I just wanted to clairify that it was the pink wire.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
if you wanna talk **** then bring whatever you want to ND and lets chain em up. The burb vs whatever you got, it doesn't matter I'll drag your ass around all day.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Whoa Nelly !!! Don't make me pull this bitch over !!! Just an FYI, This isn't Pirate 4x4 where such comments and name calling are tolerated when you disagree with someone. We have many many disagreements here, even the long time seasoned veterans, but we still disagree like adults. We'll have our immature fun, but there's not an ounce of toleration for this type of comments. Soooo, I"ll clean up the thread a bit and we'll carry on.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Thank you.

JePaPr82

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Lmmfao well i guess i need to go over to pirate 4x4. Maybe there they aint got badass internet punks that wanna come on and talk **** on someones thread when she has no wortha damn information to add. Just aint got **** better to do. Yeah im gonna drive to ****** north dakota to pull trucks with you.. thats gotta be the dumbest **** i have ever heard Ohhh and you csn pull this bitch over anytime you get ready

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP