Gauge cluster,tail lights and gas gauge problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dman1049

Reaction score
First Name
Dahlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
All I've done is some how make it worse... If headlights are on turn signals don't work. Turn off headlights flashers work. Blower motor doesn't work now As well. As soon as power is put to gauge cluster it blows the cluster feed fuse. Ive tried multiple headlight switchs and this is the 2nd gauge cluster. Its a September of 76 truck. The cluster is from a 73. In the pictures you see multiple black wires, cant find in any wire diagrams what they are. They are ground in the current config. Also the wire that's pink with white stripe... Goes to the dual tank switch. Couldn't find that wire in any wiring diagrams either. Used a 76 gm truck service manual and 77... And Chilton. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size
I'm not sure about 76/77 but I've read that if your 76/77 cluster has a volt gauge VS the org amp gauge you will fry it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
All I've done is some how make it worse... If headlights are on turn signals don't work. Turn off headlights flashers work. Blower motor doesn't work now As well. As soon as power is put to gauge cluster it blows the cluster feed fuse. Ive tried multiple headlight switchs and this is the 2nd gauge cluster. Its a September of 76 truck. The cluster is from a 73. In the pictures you see multiple black wires, cant find in any wire diagrams what they are. They are ground in the current config. Also the wire that's pink with white stripe... Goes to the dual tank switch. Couldn't find that wire in any wiring diagrams either. Used a 76 gm truck service manual and 77... And Chilton. Any ideas?

Is your headlamp switch new? if you are having issues with power to turns and blowing fuse it almost sounds like theres some short to power maybe happening on that circuit. also I do believe the 73/74 wiring, possibly into 75, is a group, 75(or 6)-78 or 79, 79-80 etc etc.. I could be wrong on those divisions, a simple way is to google a new printed circuit for the cluster and see what years are grouped or solitary. if your 76 and 73 arent grouped together, which im pretty sure based on anmeter alone its not, you need to make either the wiring match the cluster or replace the circuit board to match the wiring. if your wiring is still untouched, I would do the circuit board since they have tendancies to show their age after so many years and potentially frying from accidentally hooking into the wrong pinout on the plug. Oddly my circuit is ok, but the white plastic that holds everything is turnin to crumbs. if you are going to refresh your cluster I suggest a new plastic overlay and some needle paint, spruce up the thing lol

I do not believe this will match your fuse box, so dont take it for gospel, but could you show us whats currently going on around here with wires, fuses, etc?

Also, go under hood, and yours may look different yet again, but if you can carefully remove the plugs from the engine side, use some contact spray, clean things out, get a new seal(I think the plugs use a seal?) And preferably some connector grease and carefully reconnect. Im not sure what was in mine but it resembled a petroleum type liquid or paste that was breaking down. I am wondering if it wasnt a mix of wd40 and dirt knowing my gpa but it certainly didnt hurt to clean up the connections. good time to see if you have any burnt or crossed connections too

Attachments

• 20200222_134459.jpg
    20200222_134459.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 40