Gauge cluster,tail lights and gas gauge problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dman1049

Reaction score
First Name
Dahlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gauge cluster lights quit working one day. Tail lights quit working another. Running lights went with the tail lights. License plate lights dont work as well. Not sure if the gas gauge is related or not. I've been told they are on the same Curcuit. No blown fuses. The reostat melted in the headlight switch. Any ideas on where to start to trouble shoot these issues?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The dash lights are powered by the taillight circuit. Blown fuse for the taillight, no dash lights.

Dman1049

Reaction score
First Name
Dahlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The dash lights are powered by the taillight circuit. Blown fuse for the taillight, no dash lights.
Fuse is good. Checked for continuity and passed. 20 amp fuse

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd start by replacing the headlight switch and cleaning all contact conections power and ground.I am assuming you aren't getting power through it anymore. Then I would monitor it to see if it's getting hot.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
wiring is an absolute pain. you're a saint

Dman1049

Reaction score
First Name
Dahlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd start by replacing the headlight switch and cleaning all contact conections power and ground.I am assuming you aren't getting power through it anymore. Then I would monitor it to see if it's getting hot.
I've put multiple headlight switches through it. Soon as I rotate it to make the dash lights get brighter it smokes the reostat

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've put multiple headlight switches through it. Soon as I rotate it to make the dash lights get brighter it smokes the reostat

Well that is pertinent information. If you aren't having a problem until you rotate the reostat that tells me you have a problem with the dash wiring. You need to check all the wires that go to any bulbs on the reostat circuit sounds like 1 or more are shorted to ground.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
And you have the wrong fuse in the dash light fuse spot. If I remember correctly the dash lamps are on a 5 amp fuse. That fuse should blow long before enough current goes thru the rheostat to burn it up.

Do you have any aftermarket gauges or other accessories on the dash lights? Make sure the right bulbs are installed.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305

What if your tail lights work but, no dash lights?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The dah lights are powered by a green (I think) wire coming out of the headlight switch, that green wire goes to the dash lamp fuse. Power comes out of the dash fuse on a gray wire that goes to the dash and instrument lamps.

I’ll see if I can find a headlight switch wiring doagrams

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Here is a couple diagrams. GM changed wire colors a few times over the years, but the switch and wire functions are the same.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks Matt that helps

Dman1049

Reaction score
First Name
Dahlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And you have the wrong fuse in the dash light fuse spot. If I remember correctly the dash lamps are on a 5 amp fuse. That fuse should blow long before enough current goes thru the rheostat to burn it up.

Do you have any aftermarket gauges or other accessories on the dash lights? Make sure the right bulbs are installed.
Nope no other after market gauges wired

Lefthand6

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine did this a few months back. I had a wire that was grounding out (causing all the same problems) on a bracket in the dash between the cluster and the AC/heater controls. Something the po had cut and not capped.

Dman1049

Reaction score
First Name
Dahlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I started messing around with wires... Ignition off and light switch off. Theres 2 Orange wires from two different directions plugged into the dome courtesy light prong on the switch. Both are wrapped in main harness. The Orange wire that's supposed to give power to dome/courtesy seems to power tail lights. Also accedentially touching that wire to the ground while being unplugged from switch popped 20amp tail light fuse and 1amp cluster feed fuse

Last edited: