GAUGE CLUSTER RESTO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
was wondering if anyone has repainted the silver dash around the gauges. if so what paint did you use and how did it turn out thanks.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Do you mean the silver inside each round gauge bezel on the black plastic bezel, or the light blue metal piece behind the gauges? I've seen multiple articles about painting the blue metal piece with silver paint to make the dash lights work better, and it seems to be effective. If you want to repaint each gauge bezel I would use model paint and a small brush, since its just plastic.

Bruce

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Sorry maybe I used the wrong wording. I mean the large silver dash piece itself. Some trucks have black ones but mine is like a fake brushed metal silver look. It's the piece that has all the holes for the gauges and radio and ac controls. I know there is a word for it just can't think of it

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sorry maybe I used the wrong wording. I mean the large silver dash piece itself. Some trucks have black ones but mine is like a fake brushed metal silver look. It's the piece that has all the holes for the gauges and radio and ac controls. I know there is a word for it just can't think of it
Bezel

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Bezel thanks. So what could I repaint my bezel with if anything to restore the factory look.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
SEM makes some decent plastic paint. As does Krylon actually.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You can buy that piece for about $50 dollars. It's part #5.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=84
I did on my '79 when I changed to the 81 and up dash. The only thing I didn't like is the adhesive was not that great and it started to lift after awhile. You may also be able to use fine steel wool and brush in one direction to get the original look. I did this with the right side piece as I did like my aftermarket one.

Now if you want to restore the chrome lettering or the chrome around each gauge, you may try this.
https://www.molotow.com/magazine/molotow-liquid-chrometm/
I build model trucks and someone said use this to replicate chrome. I haven't purchased it yet, as I'm not to that stage in my restoration. I'm going to try this before I purchase a new bezel.

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Thank you for all of your replies. im going to take it off and clean it up and shop around for some different ideas. I may just repaint it and try to get it as close as possible. Fresh paint in the right color will definitley look better than what is there now. just have to find the right paint.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
All of the bezels start out as basic black plastic. For the next trim level up they add silver paint around each gauge face, and sometimes a line of silver trim around the perimeter. The next step up is usually wood grain trim of various patterns that are glued onto the black bezel. There is also a bright line of silver trim that is glued around the perimeter.

BLUF - you can take a basic black bezel and turn it into whatever you want by painting it or adding trim.

If you buy a replacement, just make sure its for the right year. Changes in the wiper switch placement requires different hole configurations for certain years.

Bruce

dan3103

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The bezel around my gauge cluster on my 1986 Jimmy was pretty shot, it looked like someone had tried to wash it clean, which removed some of the silver coating. That coating comes off really easy, so be careful if you wash it. I ended up removing it all with soap and water and just put it back on. My bezel was an off white under the silver and looks ok for my needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20