Gauge Cluster Re-Pinning - HOW?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most conversations about swapping clusters and adding gauges usually end of with someone saying you will need to re-pin the plug. But... I can't say I have ever actually seen someone explain HOW to physically do it.

I was looking at a spare plug I have in my workshop and tried to figure out how to do it. I tried to simply pull the wire straight out. Nope. Looked at it closer and thought maybe there was a spring tab that needed to be moved a certain direction. Still nothing. WTH? I tried compressing the contact thinking there was a catch somewhere. The plug is still winning.

How do you physically move the wires in the plug?? It looks like it should be so easy, but I feel like a **** for not figuring it out.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I haven't done it with any square wiring but have on modern stuff.

There is a spring tab on the metal wire connector that holds it in place in the plastic connector housing.

The one's Ive worked with, you have to remove a plastic inner cover on the connector side of the connector (as opposed to what I'd call the wiring side of the connector.). This will let you see the wire connections sitting in their little pockets. You then push the wire in from the wire side and take a tiny pick of some sort to press down that spring tab and then it will slide out the back.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Aahhh... I thought it was something like that, but without my magnifying station readily available, I just couldn't see exactly what I was dealing with. Thanks! I will report back tonight with results after physically trying/doing it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's just a little tab that you push down with a small pick, then pull the wire out of the connector.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got one wire out and was able to look at it closer. I got lucky in getting it out I guess because I couldn't get another one out, even after being able to look at it closer. I see the principle of it. From what I see the tab the prevents it from coming back out isn't easily moveable. I also tried to put it back into the connector with no luck. Walked away without even taking a picture of it. Try again later. Have you guys done the actual ones in our square bodies? Not "something similar"? This is making me question my mechanical aptitude!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've just done it on my other GM cars that use what looks like the same connector. I wish I had a dash apart right now, you have me curious.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I went back after a beer and did get another one out. I think I have it figured out. I also took some pics of the connector on the end of the wire. With the right tools I think this will be easy, I just don't have that right tool in my possession at this moment of time.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
More beer fixes most problems :High 5:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:happy160:
Beer calms my nerves and settles me down.

I think I figured out the situation. I went back at it today after work with a fresh mind and ideas. After studying one of the wires I pulled off last night I thought I had a pretty good plan. Here are some pictures I took last night...

You must be registered for see images attach

In the above picture you can see a curved tab that keeps it in the main plastic connector. I thought I would try putting the end of one of my small flat screwdrivers into the curved part and then simultaneously move the big looped part down towards the screwdriver, it should move the tab up enough to where I could pull the wire out. So I tried that method, and the wire came out really nicely! Success! Well, wait a minute...

The wire I pulled just pulled out had NO curved tab. Huh. Pulled out a couple more, same thing. Here is a picture of a couple I just pulled out...

I'm sure this is how they are supposed to look, with a straight tab, not a curved tab. The bottom pink one was just pulled out, and still has the tab bent up a little to facilitate removal. The top gray wire has the tab bent back down for installation. It went back in really nice too, btw.

I think the first couple got curved when I pre-maturely tried to pull them out. Too much force without bending the tab out of the way first curls it over. With the several I took out later successfully, I also pushed the wire into the plastic connector to move the tab away from the catch of the plastic before moving the tab for removal.

So in closing your honor, bucket and robert were right all along, it was just my ignorance leading me to the path of success the hard way. Thanks for tagging along this far bucket. Now we have a record of what the plugs are really like on the inside.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ah, yep, that's what I remembered. Several years ago I took some pics of how to release those tabs and had it posted on another site, I'm still looking for them.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yep. Just have her spit on your tool, stick it in there and wiggle it around and she will POP right out of there. :crazy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53