Gas Tanks - swaps/mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didn't see a more appropriate area of the forum to ask this question, so... I'm gonna just leave this here.

I read 'somewhere' that a GM 20gal tank will not fit a shortbed. Just wondering if I could confirm this bit of information with the experts here.
Furthermore, if this is the case, then has anyone managed to swap another 16 into the driver's side?

Thanks (as always).

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
For sure will not fit.

The front leaf spring mount will be in the way.

I shortened my '77, and swapped the mounts et al with a new 16 gallon tank to the driver's side (I had bought a later box with only a driver's side filler).

And then shortly afterwards put in a second 16 gallon (along with a filler door) into the passenger side.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The same tank fits either side.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So many of these trucks came with dual tanks it should be easy to find what you need. Even long boxes came with 16 gallon tanks, usually 2wd 1/2 tons.

I would be curious to know if the single tank trucks have welded nuts on both sides of the frame where the support brackets bolt to. If not just use a bolt and nut

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, y'all.

The price is usually right, so I'll just snag another 16 and rig it up when I can.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I would be curious to know if the single tank trucks have welded nuts on both sides of the frame where the support brackets bolt to. If not just use a bolt and nut

The frames don't have the welded nuts, the brackets do. The front bracket works on either side and has all the mounting holes punched in it, but the welded nuts are only on the one set of holes. To use the bracket on the other side, you have to use a couple bolts/nuts.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh yes haha you are right. But im not understanding why you need nuts and bolts to use them on the other side ?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh yes haha you are right. But im not understanding why you need nuts and bolts to use them on the other side ?

Maybe it wasn't the front bracket... could have been the rear. Anywho, one of the brackets bolts onto an up swept area of the frame. So one bolt hole is higher than the other in the frame. The bracket has the welded nuts to match it. So when the bracket is swapped to the other side of the truck, the bolt holes in the frame line up with the other set of holes in the bracket (the ones without the welded nuts).

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And that was on my short bed truck. Long bed might be a little different.

At any rate, the tank brackets have the holes to bolt on either side, long or short bed. Whether or not the welded nuts are in the correct spot, depends on the original application of the bracket.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, the sending units are side-specific, but you can use them on the "wrong" side. You just have to lengthen the rubber hoses that connect to them.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Gotcha