Gas leak help?!??!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timbrown2892

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350
I recently replaced the air intake to the edelbrock, which started my problem to the evaporative canister leaking. Then after routing that back to the right tank on a dual system, the tank is over flowing at the gas cap/filler neck. Only the one tank is hooked up and isn't over filled... I have no idea where to go from here.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Is there gas in the other tank? Is the transfer valve still hooked up? Is it possible the unused tank is now feeding over into the main tank? Something to look at. I'm fighting dual tank woes as well, but cant get the gas gauge to work on the driver side. Good luck & post back what you find.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Then after routing that back to the right tank on a dual system, the tank is over flowing at the gas cap/filler neck.

By this, I assume you mean it overflows only when you are filling the tank at the gas station - not while operating the truck. Correct?

Timbrown2892

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350
No, it is when it's running and its spewing at quite an alarming rate

Timbrown2892

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350
Also, the second tank is completely unhooked from the system. All the feed and return lines go to the right tank currently.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Let me get this straight;

1. The production (LH side) tank is completly isolated from any part of the fuel system and so, there is no way it can be involved in this problem.

2. Since the LH tank has been omitted from the fuel system only the auxiliary (RH) tank is being used.

3. The RH tank has some gas in it, but the level is nowhere near the fill neck.

4. While you are driving around, gas can be seen coming out of the tank

A couple of questions;

1. First big one is - how can gas come out of the fill pipe with the gas cap screwed on?

2. Can you provide more details about what went on as described here:

I recently replaced the air intake to the edelbrock, which started my problem to the evaporative canister leaking. Then after routing that back to the right tank on a dual system

3. Is your fuel system stock or has it been modified?

4. If is a stock mechanical type, does your fuel pump have 2 or 3 hose connections?

5. Other than the fuel tank burping gasoline, does the truck run normally?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I know that if I fill my tank completely full but not overfull, that when I park it in the sun it will spew a good amount of fuel out onto the ground. Even with it being vented to atmosphere!

My question would be how can a 3/4 full tank become so full so that it pisses out the filler neck? And have you visually seen it come out the filler neck? and if so how much comes out?

"I recently replaced the air intake to the edelbrock, which started my problem to the evaporative canister leaking. Then after routing that back to the right tank on a dual system"

^^^I do not understand what it was you were trying to convey here ???

Timbrown2892

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350
I have seen it come out and if I had to guess probably at the rate of about a gallon a minute. I was simply stating that I had started having problems when I switched to the edelbrock air cleaner and was assuming it was a vaccuum issue. With the other thank completely disconnected that is where I meet my issue. It would seem to defy the laws of physics to pressurize the tank to a point it would spew gas. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow most likely and try to figure something out.

Timbrown2892

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350
The pump has two line connections and yes the truck runs just fine, aside from the fuel issue

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you get the return hoses mixed around, you can be drawing fuel from one tank and returning it to the other. This is the only way I know to get gas coming out at the rate you observe.

Timbrown2892

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350
I'm pretty sure the left is completely disconnected but I'm going to trace lines and completely remove unnecessary ones this weekend and see what happens.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you get the return hoses mixed around, you can be drawing fuel from one tank and returning it to the other. This is the only way I know to get gas coming out at the rate you observe.

That makes about the most sense. Don't know how else you would pressurize it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77