Fuel tank mounting brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I think if your bed is off, you could very much do as you describe, assuming. But if you don’t, I think I was told putting the brackets and straps on the tank,loosely somewhat,then getting the tank close, with a jack then getting the brackets started with a few bolts,so that the bracket is lined up so your rest of bolts will all fit, then ensuring the straps are secure down. But this was for my 1980 and a long time ago. Not sure about 87. Because of my bed condition, pulling it off meant it would stay off and I would have to have fabricated something to hold sand. I think initially I didn’t think about the straps 100% so I just tightened them down, but they were not 100% lined up. That’s why I said possibly loose. I can’t remember if the strap tighten spot was accessible or not on when bed on. But yours is off
My 77 frame has holes where the strap nuts are accessible

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The efi lines have to be changed because of the pumps pulses fatigue those old carbureted lines, right? At least when doing a swap. Like on an old pump the pressure and the vibration were not the same amount and there was a pump at the engine vs tank
I’m assuming you said stainless braided means it’s like brake hoses but for gas

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Might depend on if you have 16 or 20 gallon tanks. I'm almost positive the wheel tubs wouldn't let you just slide the tank out if the brackets. Removing the frame brackets isn't that difficult. It's 7 bolts. You will need a DEEP 11/16th socket to get the nuts off of the tank straps. Leave the straps loose until you get the brackets lined up then tighten the straps.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
The efi lines have to be changed because of the pumps pulses fatigue those old carbureted lines, right? At least when doing a swap. Like on an old pump the pressure and the vibration were not the same amount and there was a pump at the engine vs tank
I’m assuming you said stainless braided means it’s like brake hoses but for gas
I don't know about that. I just replaced mine because I was replacing everything else anyway

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr