Fuel tank mounting brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I am in the process of replacing my dual fuel tanks, and ordered some new mounting brackets and straps from brothers. I noticed that the brackets on the passenger side don't line up with the bolt holes, whereas the old does. This is the front passenger side only - the rear passenger lines up fine. I'm thinking of just marking the holes on the bracket and drilling the new hopes on the bracket but I want to see if anybody had any thoughts first

1977 K10

77 K10 Passenger Side mounting brackets
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I have found there is a difference between the 73-80 and 81-up front brackets. Don't know why they changed.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Do you know if the 81-up brackets had nuts welded onto them? My old brackets do but the new ones don't - I don't know how I'm supposed to get my hand in there to get nuts on once the tanks are in the straps

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
I'm sure they all had nuts welded on, just different locations.

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Just a quick follow up in case anyone on the future lands here. I called Brothers Trucks this morning and they told me those brackets are meant to be "universal" for square bodies and are meant to be welded on. Well, if they get welded on, then there's no way to remove the tanks from the brackets without removing the entire bed.

My plan is to go ahead and drill new holes through the brackets to match the holes in the frame, and then take the brackets and have nuts welded on to the backsides.

These brackets are listed on Brothers website as being for my 77. Nothing about not having nuts on the backside, and nothing about the brackets needing to be welded to the frame.

Just a note - I'd stay away from buying these from Brothers in the future. It was my first purchase from them, and there was no communication about anything. There website listed them as in stock when really they weren't, so I had to wait two weeks for them to bring them in. After that, they charged My credit card but never sent any shipping confirmation or anything. I had to call them again two weeks later to ask where my stuff was. They couldn't find anything the first time and said they'd call back - never did. I had to call them again at which point they gave me a tracking number

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Just a quick follow up in case anyone on the future lands here. I called Brothers Trucks this morning and they told me those brackets are meant to be "universal" for square bodies and are meant to be welded on. Well, if they get welded on, then there's no way to remove the tanks from the brackets without removing the entire bed.

My plan is to go ahead and drill new holes through the brackets to match the holes in the frame, and then take the brackets and have nuts welded on to the backsides.

These brackets are listed on Brothers website as being for my 77. Nothing about not having nuts on the backside, and nothing about the brackets needing to be welded to the frame.

Just a note - I'd stay away from buying these from Brothers in the future. It was my first purchase from them, and there was no communication about anything. There website listed them as in stock when really they weren't, so I had to wait two weeks for them to bring them in. After that, they charged My credit card but never sent any shipping confirmation or anything. I had to call them again two weeks later to ask where my stuff was. They couldn't find anything the first time and said they'd call back - never did. I had to call them again at which point they gave me a tracking number
i have a 78 k10 tank with brackets on it on a shelf

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Specific issues aside, it seems many of these classic car part depots are not as 21st Century as one might think. Still writing down orders, no true online ordering, etc.
Not an excuse for poor customer service, but have similar experience with a couple other old car parts houses.
The frustrating part is when they are low tech and then hide behind their computer…. “That’s the part number it shows as being right…”
Well, it ain’t, bud. That’s why I’m calling you…lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going thru this as we speak. First time I dropped the tank(s) on my 85, it's not fun, especially in a driveway on a creeper. I thought I was nearing the end. Then when I pressurized the system the new EFI pumps almost immediately blew the OEM 5/16th "vent" line apart dumping fuel all over. And it was in the worst possible location, inside the frame rail right next to the starter/header area.

So, I have no confidence in 40 year old steel lines, so I spent several hours yesterday pulling the lines out. Yep, as usual its a major PITA! All three lines (supply, return, vent) are weaved together and clamped 1000 times to the inside of the frame. They even weave them together with the brake line to really make it stupid difficult. Short of having a bare frame to access this is a nearly impossible task. I hope you have better luck.
On the other hand, the electrical part works perfect! Don't forget you have to change the selector switch to the newer (87+) version and the electrical connector wont fit without a minor "adjustment". There's a dimple on one of the electrical spades on the new switch that must be filed (cut, ground, etc.) because it prevents the connector from plugging into the switch. There are 4 terminals and they can only go one way. You'll see what I mean if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So I am in nearly the same pickle, after cleaning a hole in my tank 2 weekends ago. My question is for 87 specific. Do yo have to drop the cradle brackets off the frame to change the tank? Or can you wiggle it out of the brackets if you unbolt the top straps?
I assumed the whole enchilada had to be dropped to get it out. Yes or no?
OBTW my bed is off, and I have a short box 4x4.
Eric

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think if your bed is off, you could very much do as you describe, assuming. But if you don’t, I think I was told putting the brackets and straps on the tank,loosely somewhat,then getting the tank close, with a jack then getting the brackets started with a few bolts,so that the bracket is lined up so your rest of bolts will all fit, then ensuring the straps are secure down. But this was for my 1980 and a long time ago. Not sure about 87. Because of my bed condition, pulling it off meant it would stay off and I would have to have fabricated something to hold sand. I think initially I didn’t think about the straps 100% so I just tightened them down, but they were not 100% lined up. That’s why I said possibly loose. I can’t remember if the strap tighten spot was accessible or not on when bed on. But yours is off

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
So I am in nearly the same pickle, after cleaning a hole in my tank 2 weekends ago. My question is for 87 specific. Do yo have to drop the cradle brackets off the frame to change the tank? Or can you wiggle it out of the brackets if you unbolt the top straps?
I assumed the whole enchilada had to be dropped to get it out. Yes or no?
OBTW my bed is off, and I have a short box 4x4.
Eric
I dropped both of mine from underneath, brackets and all. But my bed wasn't removed. When I dry fit my new tanks into the new brackets/straps, I set the brackets/straps on the ground and dropped the tank into them from above, so guessing you may be able to wiggle just the tanks out from above with your bed removed

Dleslie212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I'm going thru this as we speak. First time I dropped the tank(s) on my 85, it's not fun, especially in a driveway on a creeper. I thought I was nearing the end. Then when I pressurized the system the new EFI pumps almost immediately blew the OEM 5/16th "vent" line apart dumping fuel all over. And it was in the worst possible location, inside the frame rail right next to the starter/header area.

So, I have no confidence in 40 year old steel lines, so I spent several hours yesterday pulling the lines out. Yep, as usual its a major PITA! All three lines (supply, return, vent) are weaved together and clamped 1000 times to the inside of the frame. They even weave them together with the brake line to really make it stupid difficult. Short of having a bare frame to access this is a nearly impossible task. I hope you have better luck.
On the other hand, the electrical part works perfect! Don't forget you have to change the selector switch to the newer (87+) version and the electrical connector wont fit without a minor "adjustment". There's a dimple on one of the electrical spades on the new switch that must be filed (cut, ground, etc.) because it prevents the connector from plugging into the switch. There are 4 terminals and they can only go one way. You'll see what I mean if what I'm saying doesn't make sense.
I actually have all my lines replaced already with stainless braided, I did that last year when switching to EFI. The old steel lines are still in place, but abandoned. Thanks for the tip about the switch, too I appreciate the heads up on that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115