Fuel sender differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So I have a 76 25 gallon Blazer tank installed. Clearly it is a carb tank. I have the sending unit. My question is are the holes in the tank the same TBI and carb. I would like to use a 454 TBI fuel pump and sender. I assume the big block pump will move more fuel and be atleast 3/8". I will be using a Holley return regulator to bleed off excess fuel pressure. I am feeding a smaller displacement big block with 10.3:1 comp. and a 306 dur. 590 lift Roller cam it ran well on a Holley red pump but that combo is not feasible in this build. Thanks in advance.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You going a carb or EFI on it?. :confused:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb with a return regulator. Same as I did with my S10. Stock pump in tank and a return regulator.
Hmmmm, why not a good mechanical and forget about it?. :confused:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hmmmm, why not a good mechanical and forget about it?. :confused:

Not sure one would fit between the frame and block. I might try that I have an OEM one but not sure it could keep up. That would simplify things a bit. Only thing I see with that is not to many are E85 compatible if I go that route down the road. What pump do you recommend and also I'm not 100% sure my cam has the love for a mechanical and guess what I'm not doing lol. It's an Extreme Energy roller. I could research it I have the specs and part number somewhere

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not sure one would fit between the frame and block. I might try that I have an OEM one but not sure it could keep up. That would simplify things a bit. Only thing I see with that is not to many are E85 compatible if I go that route down the road. What pump do you recommend and also I'm not 100% sure my cam has the love for a mechanical and guess what I'm not doing lol. It's an Extreme Energy roller. I could research it I have the specs and part number somewhere
You modify the frame??, no reason otherwise for it not to fit??, I'd use a good Clay Smith pump, they'll feed a pair of Dominators on a tunnelram. Cam could be an issue if it's for a modern day deal though, would be a bummer.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You modify the frame??, no reason otherwise for it not to fit??, I'd use a good Clay Smith pump, they'll feed a pair of Dominators on a tunnelram. Cam could be an issue if it's for a modern day deal though, would be a bummer.

The engine sits a bit lower then it should it has Moroso solid mounts. Have look see. It just kinda looks tight. Could just me. I hardly ever use mechanical pumps.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 40

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The engine sits a bit lower then it should it has Moroso solid mounts. Have look see. It just kinda looks tight. Could just me. I hardly ever use mechanical pumps.
Looks like you have plenty room from that pic, they don't come that close to the frame. Easy to figure just dig out your stocker and measure from the flange out, shouldn't have a problem, and the bottom can be clocked to accommodate fitting location.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Looks like you have plenty room from that pic, they don't come that close to the frame. Easy to figure just dig out your stocker and measure from the flange out, shouldn't have a problem, and the bottom can be clocked to accommodate fitting location.

Here's a little better pic. I will do that tomorrow am when I off work. And also find out if the cam has the lobe it's a retrofit roller so I'm thinking it should but who knows.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 62

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's a little better pic. I will do that tomorrow am when I off work. And also find out if the cam has the lobe it's a retrofit roller so I'm thinking it should but who knows.
Should be fine, they came from the factory with mechanical pumps, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on yours.:shrug:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok, measured a big and small block and the distance from the center of the crank to the mounting pad on the block are the same for both, you should have plenty room, cam would be the only stickler..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok, measured a big and small block and the distance from the center of the crank to the mounting pad on the block are the same for both, you should have plenty room, cam would be the only stickler..

Yes it has it but requires a bronze tipped push rod. I found the pump that came on this engine when it was in the Chevelle Its a new Carter Muscle car pump 50gph at 7.5 psi. Not sure if that's gonna work.........opinion and my cam is a Comp Extreme Energy XR300HR

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes it has it but requires a bronze tipped push rod. I found the pump that came on this engine when it was in the Chevelle Its a new Carter Muscle car pump 50gph at 7.5 psi. Not sure if that's gonna work.........opinion and my cam is a Comp Extreme Energy XR300HR
Maybe I have this wrong is this gonna be a race truck???, that's a good pump and you don't even need a reg or bypass, plenty good for a street hot rod with one carb.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Maybe I have this wrong is this gonna be a race truck???, that's a good pump and you don't even need a reg or bypass, plenty good for a street hot rod with one carb.

Well after further research the Carter is a small block pump and yes it was installed in the BB when I got the engine in the Chevelle but the cam decided it was gonna eat it's self. PO didn't do proper break in. Yes they will work but to hokey for me. Lol This truck is more or less a barely street legal mud toy and to torment people. Lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, they will go on a big block but won't work right not getting a full stroke, get the big block pump and it'll work just fine for what you're gonna do..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidenB15