Fuel Pump Whining?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
Noise by itself is not necessarily a problem. Electric pumps whine, some worse than others. If frame mounted, it may help if the pump is isolated with rubber bushings. If it still seems excessive to you, check the pump output (pressure and volume). A new fuel filter will sometimes alleviate the noise. Was the pump running (whining) when the engine wouldn't start?
This whine is not a normal low key consistent humming type whine.. its like a screaching cat every 2-3 seconds. REEHHHHH...REHHHHHHHHH.....engine idle is not affected at all. and whining consistency does not change with RPM.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Noise by itself is not necessarily a problem. Electric pumps whine, some worse than others. If frame mounted, it may help if the pump is isolated with rubber bushings. If it still seems excessive to you, check the pump output (pressure and volume). A new fuel filter will sometimes alleviate the noise. Was the pump running (whining) when the engine wouldn't start?
Right, but a change is sound from an electric pump certainly can be.

And frankly even with a modern in-tank style where I might spend several hours replacing the pump and a couple hundred for a quality part it is worthwhile vs being left on the side of the road, but that's me.

And can always go back and watch his video to hear the noise for yourself.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Right, but a change is sound from an electric pump certainly can be.

And frankly even with a modern in-tank style where I might spend several hours replacing the pump and a couple hundred for a quality part it is worthwhile vs being left on the side of the road, but that's me.

And can always go back and watch his video to hear the noise for yourself.
"Can be" also means 'may not be', as in "not necessarily". The pump on my truck was loud for nearly 80,000 miles before I replaced it. The reason I replaced it was because the level sensor failed and I wasn't going to drop the tank and put a new sensor on a pump with over 300,000 miles on it. But the pump DID still work.

Can't listen to the video as it has been removed.

By the way, I said "drop the tank" but in practice I usually lift the bed. Quicker and easier, so long as it isn't heavily weighted down.

Last edited:

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This whine is not a normal low key consistent humming type whine.. its like a screaching cat every 2-3 seconds. REEHHHHH...REHHHHHHHHH.....engine idle is not affected at all. and whining consistency does not change with RPM.
An intermittent "screeching" sound from the pump? Now that sounds like you're going to be replacing it soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78