Fuel pump noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Or should I say noise at the fuel pump? So my 78 k10 350 developed a ticking/knocking noise. The noise is only heard below 1000 rpm and after the engine is at operating temp. Engine oil pressure is at 30psi at idle and 70psi at 2500 rpm when warm. So I am pretty sure its not a rod or main bearing. Started diagnosing by removing one plug wire at a time while the engine was running, the noise did not go away, I then removed both valve covers and checked lifter adjustment, noise was still there. I cannot tell where the noise is, it seams to be louder when I crawl underneath. A friend of mine lent me his stethoscope. I listened to the valve covers, intake manifold, header tubes one by one, transmission, oil pan, flex dust cover water pump, ps pump and finally the mechanical fuel pump. No doubt the noise is either the fuel pump OR something very close to the fuel pump.
Has anyone ever experienced this? The pump is obviously working and not leaking.
Thanks in advance

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
LOL, ya that 4 letter word! work. :sorry:

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Sublime

Not my daily driver so I plan on doing it this weekend.

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
update - so I changed the fuel pump today, twice LOL. The new pump leaked at the crimped seal - ahh - so back to the parts store for an exchange. This one differed because its pump arm spring was exposed. The one I took off and the new one that leaked did not have the exposed spring.
The noisy pump had a lot of play in the arm that was causing the noise.
Bottom line if you develop an engine noise that sounds somewhat like a lifter noise be sure to check the fuel pump.

You must be registered for see images

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Is that a Delphi pump? That weirded me out when I bought one a while back.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Wild.
How long you reckon that pump was in service? That looks like significant wear to me. :imo:

Sublime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
m
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The engine was rebuilt in 2012. The truck sat a lot so not too many miles on it. I wonder if the wear came from the fuel push rod slamming the rod because of the broken spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500