Fuel line Ignition and carb questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Howdy I am working on 2 trucks a 1975 gmc 3/4 4x4 and a 1985 c10 305 700r4 equipped truck. I want to replace the fuel lines at the tank on both trucks because I have a strong suspension they need it. The75 will only run out of a jug of gas connected to the fuel pump the 85 will run once you get fuel moving. I suspect air leaks?My question is how much of what am I going to need for this project the nearest parts store is a little over 20 miles 1 way and I want to try to have everything in hand when I drop the tanks. 2nd set of problems the 85 ran real rich and had an intermitent no spark condition. I suspected the computer was not controlling the carb so I swapped on an earlier qjet is that going to hurt my 700r4. The no spark I swapped in an early HEI now I have preignition problems unless I retard the timing so far that the truck will barely pull off a light.I think I am going to bypass the ESC and put a new ignition module in the original distributor. Has anyone else done this without preignition problems? Thanks

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Howdy I am working on 2 trucks a 1975 gmc 3/4 4x4 and a 1985 c10 305 700r4 equipped truck. I want to replace the fuel lines at the tank on both trucks because I have a strong suspension they need it. The75 will only run out of a jug of gas connected to the fuel pump the 85 will run once you get fuel moving. I suspect air leaks?My question is how much of what am I going to need for this project the nearest parts store is a little over 20 miles 1 way and I want to try to have everything in hand when I drop the tanks. 2nd set of problems the 85 ran real rich and had an intermitent no spark condition. I suspected the computer was not controlling the carb so I swapped on an earlier qjet is that going to hurt my 700r4. The no spark I swapped in an early HEI now I have preignition problems unless I retard the timing so far that the truck will barely pull off a light.I think I am going to bypass the ESC and put a new ignition module in the original distributor. Has anyone else done this without preignition problems? Thanks

Okay, let me try to address this one thing at a time. I'm going to assume you have all the tools and money's not a huge concern. Your 75's problem is gonna be behind the pump, yes. I would drop, pull, and check everything before you left. You could very well be right on the lines being cracked and sucking in air, but I wouldn't rule out degradation of the little rubber lines and clamps on the sending unit, especially if the truck sat for any period of time. Also, the strainer sock could be inundated with filth. It could be a contribution of all of the above, too. I'd drop the tank or tanks and get a better idea. You'll see the rubber lines, you can pull the sender, and you can clean the tank. I've done this one of mine, and I'll be doing it on my other one soon, and it's worth while. You didn't specify which setup you had on the tanks. Same goes for the later model truck, but I feel like that might be more a strainer sock/sender problem while the older one is cracked up lines. Honestly, I'd figure this stuff out beforehand so you don't have to make more than a trip. Depending on your tank setups, get you an appropriate amount of 3/8" fuel line from the store. It'd be good to get extra in case you mess up or something. If you need a new sending unit, do yourself a favor and don't buy it from the store. Their prices are highway robbery compared to RockAuto or even eBay.

I don't understand the whole deal with the carburetor. 49 State trucks were not computer controlled this year. California trucks had Computer Command Controlled E4ME Quadrajets, plus the whole basket of OBD1 goodies, but that was the only state. Those are identifiable by an oval shaped plugin for a TPS sensor on the body of the carb and a plugin for a Mixture Control Solenoid on the air horn. Some of the mechanical ones, though, could still have that exact same plugin on the air horn for a dual stage accelerator pump. Anyways, everything else was an M4ME (mechanically controlled, electric choke) or an M4MC (mechanically controlled, divorced choke) Q-Jet. If you could take pictures of the old one and the new one for reference, that'd be good, but unless it was originally a CA truck, that was 100% unnecessary. If the TV cable geometry is true, your 700R4 will be fine, which it should be. Those problems only arise when swapping for an aftermarket carb.

On the distributor, it sounds like something's wrong with it. You can certainly bypass the ESC per the procedure and run this distributor, and I would do that if you don't want to make the ESC work, and that distributor treated you well before it started messing up. I don't think it could just be the ICM. Your pickup coil in there could also be the culprit. Are you saying it just detonates when it's under acceleration? Can you get a good base setting on it at idle? It sounds like this distributor is in better shape. The pickup cool and ICM clearly work, your cap and rotor are clearly conducting spark, and your vacuum canister and plate sound like they're doing their job. It may just need a set of recurve springs put in it or something. You've got options here. Honestly, if it were me, and I tend to do things most people on here wouldn't waste their time with, I'd try to get the ESC working on the original distributor. 305's can be little ping-monsters sometimes, and if working properly, that serves as something to protect your motor. It's up to you, though.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay, let me try to address this one thing at a time. I'm going to assume you have all the tools and money's not a huge concern. Your 75's problem is gonna be behind the pump, yes. I would drop, pull, and check everything before you left. You could very well be right on the lines being cracked and sucking in air, but I wouldn't rule out degradation of the little rubber lines and clamps on the sending unit, especially if the truck sat for any period of time. Also, the strainer sock could be inundated with filth. It could be a contribution of all of the above, too. I'd drop the tank or tanks and get a better idea. You'll see the rubber lines, you can pull the sender, and you can clean the tank. I've done this one of mine, and I'll be doing it on my other one soon, and it's worth while. You didn't specify which setup you had on the tanks. Same goes for the later model truck, but I feel like that might be more a strainer sock/sender problem while the older one is cracked up lines. Honestly, I'd figure this stuff out beforehand so you don't have to make more than a trip. Depending on your tank setups, get you an appropriate amount of 3/8" fuel line from the store. It'd be good to get extra in case you mess up or something. If you need a new sending unit, do yourself a favor and don't buy it from the store. Their prices are highway robbery compared to RockAuto or even eBay.

I don't understand the whole deal with the carburetor. 49 State trucks were not computer controlled this year. California trucks had Computer Command Controlled E4ME Quadrajets, plus the whole basket of OBD1 goodies, but that was the only state. Those are identifiable by an oval shaped plugin for a TPS sensor on the body of the carb and a plugin for a Mixture Control Solenoid on the air horn. Some of the mechanical ones, though, could still have that exact same plugin on the air horn for a dual stage accelerator pump. Anyways, everything else was an M4ME (mechanically controlled, electric choke) or an M4MC (mechanically controlled, divorced choke) Q-Jet. If you could take pictures of the old one and the new one for reference, that'd be good, but unless it was originally a CA truck, that was 100% unnecessary. If the TV cable geometry is true, your 700R4 will be fine, which it should be. Those problems only arise when swapping for an aftermarket carb.

On the distributor, it sounds like something's wrong with it. You can certainly bypass the ESC per the procedure and run this distributor, and I would do that if you don't want to make the ESC work, and that distributor treated you well before it started messing up. I don't think it could just be the ICM. Your pickup coil in there could also be the culprit. Are you saying it just detonates when it's under acceleration? Can you get a good base setting on it at idle? It sounds like this distributor is in better shape. The pickup cool and ICM clearly work, your cap and rotor are clearly conducting spark, and your vacuum canister and plate sound like they're doing their job. It may just need a set of recurve springs put in it or something. You've got options here. Honestly, if it were me, and I tend to do things most people on here wouldn't waste their time with, I'd try to get the ESC working on the original distributor. 305's can be little ping-monsters sometimes, and if working properly, that serves as something to protect your motor. It's up to you, though.
Yes it is a dual acc pump carb and i thought that was what was causing my rich condition. I need to learn about that carb and it's functions and what controls it.I don't really want to expieriment with springs and weight s in the dizzy and play till I come up with a combo that works which is why I was thinking I'd freshen up the original dizzy and bypass the esc for now. Eventually I intend to have everything back on it and functioning as it did when it was new. But for noe it needs to be usable while I gather parts and make repairs one step at a time. Thanks for your input on my fuel problems I didn't even think about the tank pick ups or screens. Thank You

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes it is a dual acc pump carb and i thought that was what was causing my rich condition. I need to learn about that carb and it's functions and what controls it.I don't really want to expieriment with springs and weight s in the dizzy and play till I come up with a combo that works which is why I was thinking I'd freshen up the original dizzy and bypass the esc for now. Eventually I intend to have everything back on it and functioning as it did when it was new. But for noe it needs to be usable while I gather parts and make repairs one step at a time. Thanks for your input on my fuel problems I didn't even think about the tank pick ups or screens. Thank You

I hear you on playing with the distributor recurve. I wouldn't want to do that either. If the connector is unplugged on that carb, it just reverts to a regular accelerator pump. I'm going to embed a video on how to test your pickup coil since you're going to go with the ESC dist. that was having problems before. I'd just take the ignition control module to the test bench at your preferred 'local' auto parts store. Make sure you buy Delco ignition parts if you can; you'll have to call and order in advance if you buy from the store or buy them from RockAuto. The latter would probably be the best way so you can take the ICM to town, have it tested, and order the same part cheaper without having to drive back there. MasterPro/Duralast are a good way to get stranded on the side of a rural highway so don't let them woo you with that junk. I have used Borg Warner Development (BWD) products (particularly their EGR valve and HEI coil), and that's the single alternative to OEM emissions and ignition parts I'd recommend from experience. If you do decide to buy anything from RockAuto, you can go to the preferred vendors section and grab the 5% discount code. I'm not trying to plug them, but their prices are damn competitive. With these fuel and ignition components, minus the 3/8" rubber hose that your local hardware store should carry, by the way, you'd save the lives of a few Andrew Jacksons up to a Ben Franklin depending on how much stuff you end up needing.

[yt]s9QqlKuiBF0[/yt]

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I hear you on playing with the distributor recurve. I wouldn't want to do that either. If the connector is unplugged on that carb, it just reverts to a regular accelerator pump. I'm going to embed a video on how to test your pickup coil since you're going to go with the ESC dist. that was having problems before. I'd just take the ignition control module to the test bench at your preferred 'local' auto parts store. Make sure you buy Delco ignition parts if you can; you'll have to call and order in advance if you buy from the store or buy them from RockAuto. The latter would probably be the best way so you can take the ICM to town, have it tested, and order the same part cheaper without having to drive back there. MasterPro/Duralast are a good way to get stranded on the side of a rural highway so don't let them woo you with that junk. I have used Borg Warner Development (BWD) products (particularly their EGR valve and HEI coil), and that's the single alternative to OEM emissions and ignition parts I'd recommend from experience. If you do decide to buy anything from RockAuto, you can go to the preferred vendors section and grab the 5% discount code. I'm not trying to plug them, but their prices are damn competitive. With these fuel and ignition components, minus the 3/8" rubber hose that your local hardware store should carry, by the way, you'd save the lives of a few Andrew Jacksons up to a Ben Franklin depending on how much stuff you end up needing.

[yt]s9QqlKuiBF0[/yt]

Thanks for the help since the problem was intermitent I am afraid a pick up coil or ignition module thats tests good may still be bad,if I sitll lived in the city I'd gamble but out here it can be a long walk for help or home.So sounds like I'll order a pickup coil and ignition module and bypass the esc. then when I am confidant the dizzy is ok I can hook the esc back upif the problem returns I can bypass the esc to get home. And since the carb is just a normal carb when unplugged I am just going to clean it and put a kit in it. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68