Fuel leaks down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
What's a 3/4 cam? :insane:
You must be registered for see images attach

But really I have the same issue. Long cranking to get fuel after basically anything more than a day of sitting.

I've tried check valves, fuel pump, and replaced the pump to carb line section that had a bunch of connections (8 or more maybe don't remember). All with no change to the amount of cranking before firing off.

The previous owner's open air cleaner can't be helping either.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've always wanted a Mopar 440 with the three third carb setup.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you can't live with it swap in a electric pump with a regulator. Just wait a few seconds then start. You will have fuel instantly.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I watch an old school Mopar guy on YouTube. His channel is called uncle Tony's garage. He talks about this. He said current gasoline especially with ethanol in it evaporates like that and it is just a characteristic of the new type of fuel. I have the same problem with my truck. I commented on one of his videos and he said yes that's just the way current fuel does. All his cars he said do that.

I don't know... I can let my 84 k10 sit for a week or 2 and it will start withing 3 seconds of cranking. Edelbrock carb, but original fuel pump.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
You sound like an exception

I'm really hoping I don't get that problem. Why would you have to crank for 20+ seconds? Wouldn't the fuel pump be able to get the fuel there withing a couple seconds regardless? It's not a long distance from the carb to the tank. Could it be a problem with the fuel pump barely pumping?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm really hoping I don't get that problem. Why would you have to crank for 20+ seconds? Wouldn't the fuel pump be able to get the fuel there withing a couple seconds regardless? It's not a long distance from the carb to the tank. Could it be a problem with the fuel pump barely pumping?
I put the fuel pump on maybe 14 years ago. I haven't driven 8000 miles one it. But it's done this with the pump before and this one since I replaced it. I replaced the old fuel pump cause it was leaking externally. They are cheap and I had no idea how old it was so I just bought a new one and installed it. This truck will sit unused for weeks and in some cases months.

If I drove the truck the day before it will crank cold start even if it's 35f outside or 95f outside within three seconds just like was said by the last guy. But after three days to a few weeks I have to crank for 10-15 seconds. I don't know why that's the way it has been for me and it also sounds like plenty of others have this trouble . Now if I daily drove this truck I wouldn't even know if it had this issue cause from day to day or a few days in between trips it doesn't have this issue.

Only thing in the original designed system that I have is a clear plastic filter that I replaced about a year ago inline on the frame in the engine compartment. And my original hard line to the carb had been twisted and bent from someone not holding it tight with two wrenches. So I fabbed up a metal stub about 6"s long out of the carb to connect to a rubber line back to my clear filter.

It's been maybe 6-8 years since I replaced the internal carb filter, but it is behind the primary clear inline plastic filter I mentioned earlier and also the fact that I haven't put 16,000 miles on this truck in the 15 years that I have had it, and the fact I have replaced the filter a time or two I don't think it is restricting flow, especially since when I stomp it it doesn't stumble and gets all the fuel it needs.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
You sound like an exception.

So am I. One pump to set the choke and it starts.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If anyone does install an electric fuel pump, may I suggest to be sure to remove the mechanical unit and block off the hole.
Reason being, the mechanical pump can rupture a diaphragm and leak fuel to the cranking case undetected, I guess We all know the results caused from fueled down oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68