Fuel Issues!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixx23

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey all. I have a 4speed 79 C20. Ran out of gas the other night. (Said quarter tank!) Filled her up and now it won't get gas. There is about 8 gallons of fuel in the tank. New fuel pump and new lines ran from the pump to the tank. The carb is alright - if you fill the bowl up with fuel it will run just fine. I suspected a clog in the filter of the actual tank, but my buddy said on this year there is no sock filter in the tank? If this is true, what else could it be?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey all. I have a 4speed 79 C20. Ran out of gas the other night. (Said quarter tank!) Filled her up and now it won't get gas. There is about 8 gallons of fuel in the tank. New fuel pump and new lines ran from the pump to the tank. The carb is alright - if you fill the bowl up with fuel it will run just fine. I suspected a clog in the filter of the actual tank, but my buddy said on this year there is no sock filter in the tank? If this is true, what else could it be?

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the fuel pickup is clogged. The logic behind that is running it so low on fuel that debris that normally remains receded at the bottom of the tank gets sucked up. I would disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if you're getting any fuel there just to be safe and make sure the pump is working. That whole thing about no strainer sock sounds like hogwash to me, but mine are a little newer than yours so who knows... Do you have a Quadrajet? Did you check the filter in there if you do?

Last edited:

sixx23

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah, that definitely sounds like the fuel pickup is clogged. The logic behind that is running it so low on fuel that debris that normally remains receded at the bottom of the tank gets sucked up. I would disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if you're getting any fuel there just to be safe and make sure the pump is working. That whole thing about no strainer sock sounds like hogwash to me, but mine are a little newer than yours so who knows... Do you have a Quadrajet? Did you check the filter in there if you do?

The hose for the carb inlet is not getting fuel. I ran a hose to the pump into a container full of gas and it pumped it out just fine, so the pump is fine. I've also replaced the inline fuel filter already.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The hose for the carb inlet is not getting fuel. I ran a hose to the pump into a container full of gas and it pumped it out just fine, so the pump is fine. I've also replaced the inline fuel filter already.

It's got to be the pickup, then. Strainer sock or not, the only thing between the liquid gasoline in the tank and your pump is the sending unit. That's very likely where it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4