Fuel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I am having a fuel issue with my '85. It has a '73 454 beefed op a bit. It has started to act like it is vapor locking. When it does this I can pop the hood and see that the filter has no fuel. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will fire and be ok for a while. I have eliminated the mechanical pump with an electric pump. Rerouted my lines outside the frame, am running on just one tank which I cleaned and installed new sending unit and filter sock. After all this I am still having the same issue. I am at a loss. ???????? Could this somehow be an electrical issue? :shrug:

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Not even any wild ideas?

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Are you sure the pump isn't cutting out intermittently?

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I took the pump of my '82 which never had any problems. I have rebuilt the carb. I have been under the truck while it was running and moved, wiggled every thing that would move. No success.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Are the fuel lines running near something that could cause Tue fuel to vaporize?

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Fuel lines are out side the frame. Not near anything even slightly warm. I guess I'll pull the truck completely apart and start over.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
How about temporarily removing the fuel filter. As it has no fuel in it. Also how thick is the base gasket on the carb?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Where is the fuel pump? It should be as close to the tank as possible. Is there a fuel regulator? Where is it?

Not sure what your set up is but its really not a good idea to have your fuel lines on the outside of the frame. As long as your exhaust is 3" away it should be fine. I think mine is about 5 or 6 inches away with the stock bent exhaust routing.

Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
D.
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I Have removed the filter, replaced the filter and replaced the filter. The fuel pump is mounted about 8 inches from the tank. Aluminum manifold with 2" aluminum spacer.

I have started the tear down on the truck. Scrapped the engine. Will build a new one. Will be removing tanks and anything to do with fuel and electrical this coming weekend.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Oh darn well good luck bud :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Latest posts