Front Drive Shaft Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket is that a strut rod? does it appear this man has an auto trans?

also does the np205 front flange drive shaft look like this one? if you know lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Yep, strut rod. Looks like a 465 trans too.

The flange style 205 shaft looks just like the other flange style shafts. They just have various overall lengths.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Good write up, although mine came apart and went together much easier, so I did not need a press.

Also, don’t forget to squirt grease into the zerk fitting on the driveshaft body, and then push and pull on the shaft (no jokes, please) to make sure it can lengthen and shorten as your axle moves.

I also found several articles that recommended sealed u-joints, so that’s what I used. When I fixed mine I found one u-joint was completely dry and rusted, and the centering ball part of the cardan joint was broken in pieces.

Bruce

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I was going to rebuild mine on the 77 I had but it previously had the full time NP 203 so by the time I converted it to a part time setup the splines were worn really bad on the front (and the rear) driveshafts so I just opted to buy a new set off ebay and I have to admit they were top notch for a stock replacement. They came painted and with spicer u-joints. I think they were powder coated but not 100 % sure.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice job - GREAT info here.

I was just told today that my double cardan is shot and to locate a kit. So I take it there are (2) Moog 534G 's and then (1) 606 for the ball and springs?

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Awesome write up Trout!

I'm doing the same with mine and ordered up the center ball setup from Rockauto...waiting for the delivery.

However I have run into a situation...after heating to get the old nylon out, then going to town cleaning off caked on mud and grease my marks are gone!!!

Any rhyme or reason on how they mate back together or is it a case of put it together and go have it balanced?!