Ford trucks having problems filling up with fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtalljohn13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
350ci
If any one one here happens to own a Ford truck gas or diesel '99 and newer, you may have experienced it being difficult to fill up with fuel. I own a '05 F250 Super Duty with the 5.4 gas engine and for the past year every time i try to put gas in it, it shuts off every half gallon and take for ever to fill up. I did a lot of research and found that it is a common problem and supposed the fix is to replace the $300 charcoal canister and possible the purge valve. Well tonight after only getting $20 in it, it finally ticked me off so i did some tinkering with it. The "fix" is quite simple. All you gotta do is take apart the purge valve and clean it. The is a part that has an orange rubber flap (like a one way check valve) and its has a screen that is around it. I didn't realize it was a screen until i cleaned it off with break cleaner. I cleaned the rest of it up and put it back together and filled my tank up without it shutting off once. If you have this problem give that a shot before spend the money.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The newer mustangs do the same thing. My 05 did this before I sold it and it worse in cold weather, so you have to screw with it while you stand out there and freeze. It quit when the weather turned warm again. I never bothered with it before I sold it.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
we use furd pick ups in the mine i work at they got plugged all the time.

i came up with the idea to run a hose off the canister up behind the tail light and put a pcv filter on the end.

the pcv filter can be changed alot cheaper than the canister.

it has worked for about 3 years not a single canister has been plugged since.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
we use furd pick ups in the mine i work at they got plugged all the time.

i came up with the idea to run a hose off the canister up behind the tail light and put a pcv filter on the end.

the pcv filter can be changed alot cheaper than the canister.

it has worked for about 3 years not a single canister has been plugged since.

Funny you mention that, the mine I work at also uses all fords and they all have the exact problem. Most every van and pickup does it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84