FNG with a 1981 C30 Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Welcome from Ga! That's a good looking truck! Manifold gaskets seem to be super common on these 454s, not a terrible job either. Just start spraying them with deep creep or something similar a few days before so you don't break a bolt off in the head.

For the starting issue, it's hard to say, that could be multiple things. Could be a weak battery, could be the carb needs to be rebuilt/fuel is draining out of the bowls when it sits, could just be the nature of the beast with the cam.

Also, just FYI, you've got '83/84 headlight bezels and an '85-88 Silverado grille but you do have the correct '81 bumper. Definitely a good start to a cool truck!

Thank you for all the advice!

I ordered the exhaust manifold gaskets and my wheels, they should all be here end of the week. I’ll spray them with some penetrating oil before going to work today.

As for the starting issue, I mentioned it my mechanic at work and he just looked at me and said “welcome to owning carbureted vehicles with mechanical fuel pumps”. Admittedly, everything I’ve ever owned has been fuel injected, and most things I’ve wrenched on have been diesel. Live and learn I guess.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Thank you for all the advice!

I ordered the exhaust manifold gaskets and my wheels, they should all be here end of the week. I’ll spray them with some penetrating oil before going to work today.

As for the starting issue, I mentioned it my mechanic at work and he just looked at me and said “welcome to owning carbureted vehicles with mechanical fuel pumps”. Admittedly, everything I’ve ever owned has been fuel injected, and most things I’ve wrenched on have been diesel. Live and learn I guess.
Haha yeah, carb's are a whole 'nother animal. Though, when the whole fuel system is in good shape and operating correctly in warm weather, you should be able to pump the pedal 2-3 times to set the choke/prime, it should fire right up.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Check your battery cables as well.
It takes a mighty bit of power to turn over all that metal in these 454's.
Ours has one of the newer truck mini starters on it and that helps as well as the welding wire battery cables we built for it.

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thank you all.

Unfortunately I have found some rot in the frame near the drivers side front end of the rear leaf spring mount. I guess all other plans are on hold until I find out if it’s repairable or not.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Thank you all.

Unfortunately I have found some rot in the frame near the drivers side front end of the rear leaf spring mount. I guess all other plans are on hold until I find out if it’s repairable or not.
Pics of the issue?

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Pics of the issue?
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s the best I could get in the dark. I did hit it with a screwdriver to get to “good” metal.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You must be registered for see images attach

Here’s the best I could get in the dark. I did hit it with a screwdriver to get to “good” metal.
Looks to be fixable for sure. Glad you caught it! Any issue similar to that on the other side?

HFolb23

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Looks to be fixable for sure. Glad you caught it! Any issue similar to that on the other side?
Not that I could tell from an initial glance. I did discover a broken leaf on the other side though so that’ll have to be addressed when the lowering kit goes in.

I have a local square body enthusiast and mechanic coming to take a look at it tomorrow, hoping it’s not astronomically expensive to repair.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Not that I could tell from an initial glance. I did discover a broken leaf on the other side though so that’ll have to be addressed when the lowering kit goes in.

I have a local square body enthusiast and mechanic coming to take a look at it tomorrow, hoping it’s not astronomically expensive to repair.
You’ll mostly be paying for labor. If they’re good at welding it should be fine. Most of the time your can just weld in a plate to reinforce the area and it’s a suitable repair. Just gotta make sure the plate goes past the rot on all sides

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128