FNG Old fart really needs help with 77 C30 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustywer

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350 CID
So.....The saga continues. I got a carb kit, pulled off the carb and went to it. The carb had some white deposits and really needed a good cleaning. After a very meticulous process, put the carb back on and it started right up. Then the carb started spewing gas from every place it could. OK, has to be the float. Pulled the top off reset and checked the float put it back together, and same result. Tried to tighten the thing and two screws stripped out. We'll see what happens when I get the new carb from Summit on Wednesday.

I did however, after the carb fiasco, go back through and verified the valve adjustments and the Distributor Positioning. Everything is right on. The valves are set at a little more than 3/4 of a turn past zero lash, and the distributor points directly at the inboard side of #1 Cylinder at TDC.

I did notice that #6 and #8 spark plug wires have been exposed to a lot of heat, as the boots are partially melted. The heat shields are missing from the exh manifold pockets, so I'm going to need to address that.

I'm still confused as to why this thing has required so much advance. I can see 12 to 14 degrees of advance but having this thing at 16+ is really out of the norm.

So I'll pose these questions......

What setup (Tuning) differences can be expected with a bigger cam (I suspect an RV cam, because that was the common modification) ?

With .030 over pistons and that type of cam, what would I expect "optimal" vacuum to be at the intake manifold (Reading from the rear Vacuum port of the carb)

Again, thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beetlejuice01